showtec titan strobe not powering up

pigeon_boy

Indeed. I had my doubts from the start with the big blue big boy's plug references.

But, assuming it's not a wind up, a test (without DMX) to make sure it's working would be all switches except 9 and 10 off, this should slowly flash at the minimum level. At that level it may be ok on a 13A circuit.

Edited by alistermorton

no not winding anyone up or at least trying to. Just no zero all about electronics.

my bag of 13amp fuses came today so I could test it further.

basically I can get it going if I start from slow rates low dimmer and gradually build it up over time using the dipswitches

thing is I don't want that as it all seems too fragile to get going in full effect straight away at my call.

but if left off for a short while and put back on again it will just flicker for 1 second then pop, it will draw in a lot of power, super SUPER (almost blinding) flash for 1 whole second (with a buzz noise) and will blow the fuse and stop.

It's like it half works half doesn't and for that reason it's so frustrating if I should sell it as broken or not. I just want a reliable strobe. Maybe I should have got an ADJ one. I've just been through about 8 fuses now!!

What do I do? is it simply not for home use even though it has a domestic plug?

Edited by pigeon_boy

is it simply not for home use even though it has a domestic plug?

Correct. It takes more power than a UK 13A plug can supply.

I am not sure how it comes to have a 13A domestic plug on it, the plug (from your photo in post #11) is an adaptor fastened over a Euro/Shuko plug which is rated 16A. If you have been sold it with this plug fitted, whoever sold it has done a bad thing.

Edited by timsabre

is it simply not for home use even though it has a domestic plug?

Correct. It takes more power than a UK 13A plug can supply.

I am not sure how it comes to have a 13A domestic plug on it, the plug (from your photo in post #11) is an adaptor fastened over a Euro/Shuko plug which is rated 16A. If you have been sold it with this plug fitted, whoever sold it has done a bad thing.

yeah I found that out just now. as I have accidentally dropped the fuse inside the plug so I had to open it to get the fuse out, as I opened it I was simply just that, a domestic UK plug adapter surrounding the 2 prong euro plug. I feel like that's what it originally came with like it's more aimed at pro's and I dunno, those fairground ride attractions with their big generators. I got it on ebay.

I'll basically have to sell it, no idea if anyone would want it even!

It's annoying because logic tells me if I just have the dimmer set to something not so intense it will be fine but nope. Another thing I saw was it It was missing flashes every 1 in 8 at one point. Must be because it simply does require a super stable power source. Bulb is clearly fine.

As for buying another strobe I can't seem to find the middle ground products, it's either super pro huge watt intake strobe or £30 home disco party weak strobe. Dammit I just want something in between.

Ok guys thanks for the advice.

I'd still however like to know the answer to my question though that, why is it that if I have the dimmer setting set to a low setting (the first 1 quarter of power) - can't the strobe just draw in the correct amount of power for that setting? You can get as technical as you like with me on that as I actually want to learn as it's been bugging me for a while now.

Yeah I just noticed there's also LED ones, although I've always had this slight dislike for LED stuff maybe cause I feel a strobe should be traditional oldschool style with a xenon tube but if that's what I need then that's what I need.

Anyway the whole LED love/hate thing is another topic really.

EDIT: OK done a bit of research and ADJ do 1500watt strobes and a 800watt strobe but the latter is long disconnected and almost impossible to buy in the UK. Unless I have it shipped but it's not worth the hassle really.

Edited by pigeon_boy

I'd still however like to know the answer to my question though that, why is it that if I have the dimmer setting set to a low setting (the first 1 quarter of power) - can't the strobe just draw in the correct amount of power for that setting? You can get as technical as you like with me on that as I actually want to learn as it's been bugging me for a while now.

It will draw less power, but strobe power is extremely spiky because of the way they work. Basically you charge up a big capacitor and then discharge it into the tube - the current drawn as the tube fires and the cap begins to recharge can be pretty enormous, certainly well over 13 amps, even with it dimmed down.

What causes the bigger strobes to draw so much current is that they put the tube straight across the mains with a triac (Hungaroflash, Dataflash) or some fat diodes (Atomic) in the way. They trigger the triac(s) and the tube simultaneously and vary that trigger point w.r.t. the mains zero cross (just like a normal leading edge dimmer) in order to vary the intensity. They do use the charge from a cap to get things going but the bulk of the current, and hence the energy in the flash, comes straight off the mains with next to no current limit. This is also how they can operate in blinder mode (albeit for a fairly short time). Frankly I always find it amazing the things don't just self-destruct the first time they are used!

If you want to dig into the detail of xenon strobes, some of it quite old

http://donklipstein.com/donflash.html

1500W XOP15 tubed seem to be only xenons around now, anything smaller is LED based.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/stroboscope.html

Curly tube smaller ones seem to be no longer around, be wary of s/h anytronics/pulsar/optikinetics strobes as they are capacitor discharge and the caps will be well old by now.

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a 200watt LED strobe.

does what it says on the tin but when it's on it just doesn't "feel right" to me, it give off the strobe effect but it's more of a yellowy-white flash, with the xenon, (when it did work) was a zappy WHITE flash. it was just more white and zappy (hard to explain)

maybe it's just the fact it gives off the 'clack clack clack' sounds as it strobes.

I do feel like a failed cheater though, I don't wanna say there's strobe connoisseurs out there but I do feel the xenon is the real deal if you're gonna strobe. Just don't have the power to justify one. Anyway I'll try and sell the xenon.

Edited by pigeon_boy