Acoustic screens...

Ynot

Fo an upcoming production with a 17 pc band on raised decking upstage I really need to screen them off to help with preventing/reducing feedback risks - ideally I'm looking to borrow, (an-dram show) but if a hire is needed then a hire is needed.

Theatre is mine in Nuneaton, Warks, so midlands based would be best, so options people, please.

Already put feelers out to a couple of local colleges but need alternatives please.

Fo an upcoming production with a 17 pc band on raised decking upstage I really need to screen them off to help with preventing/reducing feedback risks - ideally I'm looking to borrow, (an-dram show) but if a hire is needed then a hire is needed.

Theatre is mine in Nuneaton, Warks, so midlands based would be best, so options people, please.

Already put feelers out to a couple of local colleges but need alternatives please.

Hmmm...

Wasn't expecting a flood of answers, but zero is quite indicative...

Is this not something that is often hired out?

Found SFL has some but so far few other 'tickles'.

I've hired screens from Terminal Studios in London in the past, I imagine places like John Henry would also do them, but they re all London based, so thought they might not be of any interest to you...

Terminal

John Henry's

I would guess Hawthornes and similar companies might have them.

probably not very budget -friendly!

I would probably look up any local music recording studios to see if they have them or where they get them from if they need them.

Edited by andy_s

Of course if they don't need to be transparent, making some might be feasible - get the underlay felt from Joels or Whaleys or McDougals, make screens out of cheap 12mm or maybe 18mm ply, cover them with underlay felt overlaid with something prettier / black depending on your aesthetic. would probably help tame a lively acoustic environment and might not be too expensive.

Get the underlay felt from Joels or Whaleys or McDougals, make screens out of cheap 12mm or maybe 18mm ply, cover them with underlay felt overlaid with something prettier / black depending on your aesthetic.

We've made our own out of those hessian covered exhibition boards that were very popular in the 70's. Quite heavy and work quite well, but opaque, of course.

And, obviously, ensure appropriate fire-retardant materials/treatment. Spill is bad, but burning down the house is worse.

We've made our own out of those hessian covered exhibition boards that were very popular in the 70's. Quite heavy and work quite well, but opaque, of course.

Like office deviders ? Schools / Colleges might have some floating around in that case.

Get the underlay felt from Joels or Whaleys or McDougals, make screens out of cheap 12mm or maybe 18mm ply, cover them with underlay felt overlaid with something prettier / black depending on your aesthetic.

And, obviously, ensure appropriate fire-retardant materials/treatment. Spill is bad, but burning down the house is worse.

There is a flame retardant version of underrepresented available.

There is a flame retardant version of underrepresented available.

where it says "underrepresented" it shoud say "underfelt" . good old predictive text.

Got feelers out to the local colleges - no hits as yet.

Also to the rehearsal/recording studios that are in the area - again no positive hits :(

As the band are on stage - on decking upstage - the point of that is that they ARE seen - it's part of the production. So ideally at least half the screens need to be transparent, so solid options aren't really an option.

Got feelers out to the local colleges - no hits as yet.

Also to the rehearsal/recording studios that are in the area - again no positive hits :(

As the band are on stage - on decking upstage - the point of that is that they ARE seen - it's part of the production. So ideally at least half the screens need to be transparent, so solid options aren't really an option.

I'd suggest looking at outfits that hire studio backline near you. I've hired from John Henry's in london in the past; have a feeling it's not cheap though.

They're essentially just thick bits of clear perspex so one option might be a deal with a local plastic manufacturer and then bolting sheets to the front of whatever deck the band are on.