Solo singer PA

MIKE900

Looking for a portable PA to use with solo singer to backing tracks, playing pub gigs Thinking something like Bose L1 compact PA? Budget around £700. Probably going to need some vocal effects too, reverb/delay. Is there something pretty portable that does it all, or do I need separate gear?

How long is a piece of string? Though if thinking of Bose L1 then get a try-out of the Lucas Nano 605FX which has reverb and is stereo. Stereo might suit playback of recorded music better.

As with all these things, you really do have to sound check them since I am recommending an £800 unit that can be expanded and is reasonable quality when cheap'n'cheerful might suit your venues far better. You won't get much more portable than a Nano and friends use the smaller 300 versions in wedding marquees for speeches and ambient music.

Hi

A good proportion of the acts I see use the Bose system, and they sound good.

However be aware that the L1 compact is very tall when bolted together at 6.5ft / 79 inches.

It's also not expandable, unlike the much more expensive L2, and runs out of steam quite quickly. I wouldn't use it for spaces that held more than 75-100 people.

As always, getting it demo'd is key. Don't buy anything until you know exactly how it's going to sound with you using it.

All the best

Timmeh

• 1 month later...

I would be enclined to use the active sub fromn the Turbosound IP2000.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/turbosound_ip12b.htm

And pair it with the IP300 top. I think the larger woofers over the line array would create a fuller sound in the midrange.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/turbosound_ip300.htm

The same app control is still available and the savings over the IP2000 system should cover a decent set of padded cases, a mountng pole and necessary cables.

Edited by ANDYLASER