100V to line level - cheapest or easiest

TomHoward

Thanks to all.

Ray, should I post the image in the thread for the image of posterity? I have it saved but obviously it's to your credit.

I have some old Boyer 30W column speakers that have a 2.5W tap that I can pull the transformer out of, or to buy new transformers from CPC with a 1W tap is under a fiver (link)

I'll try the 2.5W ones I have with modified resistor values

Thanks to all.

Ray, should I post the image in the thread for the image of posterity? I have it saved but obviously it's to your credit.

I have some old Boyer 30W column speakers that have a 2.5W tap that I can pull the transformer out of, or to buy new transformers from CPC with a 1W tap is under a fiver (link)

I'll try the 2.5W ones I have with modified resistor values

Feel free to post if you wish, there is nothing unusual or unique about it and it may be useful to someone in the future.

Don't be bogged down with my selected values, there is nothing critical here but they are a good starting point.

My original calculations came up with higher values, which worked but with the pot set pretty much at full. bearing in mind 100V speakers are frequently run at far from full volume I reduced the resistor values such that the pot tends to be set at half for the kit that I use, it may be very different if you are running into much lower input impedances.

Another unit I have is designed for DI into phantom mic and incorporates capacitors to prevent a DC current into the pot.

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all

I have a possible need to get line level out of 100V. It's a one-off job so ideally I don't want to spend too much on it.

I know there are some products available, but they usually run £100+. I'm happy to buy one as a second option.

Is there any easy circuit or transformer to drop from 100V to line level output? I have a box of transformers down to 8ohm off old speakers, don't know if they could be combined with a DI box or similar to provide a low level output?

Many thanks for any pointers

How did you get along with this?

Looks a useful addition to the toolbox - if you can get your head round the labelling!!

That's to distract you from the fact it's a copy of the EMO stereo DI. Can't believe they even ripped off the design flaw - those switches