Cat 5 for both video and audio

JTilling

Hi All

I'm after some advice.

I work in a venue which has 2 Cat 5 lines installed from the tech box to side of stage. One Cat 5 is used exclusively from the X32 to its S16 stage box while the other is used from an HDMI to cat 5 convertor then back to a cat 5 to HDMI converter for sending video down.

Now this may be a stupid question but the Cat 5 line for the video is developing a fault currently (badly installed not fit for job cable!) What I would like to now is could I instead install a cat 5 switcher or router at each end and just use the line that has the x32 on it for both video and audio? Basic set up diagram attached for clarity.

Thanks in advance.

http://i63.tinypic.com/20gi4ap.png

I assume by "router/switcher" you mean an ethernet switch. You can't do that because neither the x32 nor the hdmi communicate using standard ethernet packets. They are just using the cat5 cable to send their own type of signal.

Any chance you can get warranty on the cabling? If it was done as a proper structured cabling install, many of these systems have between 10 and "lifetime" warranties attached. For example, a Panduit install carries with it a 25 year warranty. It is of course reliant on being installed by a panduit certified installer, using panduit products end to end etc.

If not, then perhaps talk to a local cabler about how much it would cost to drag in a couple of cat6a's (using the dieing cat5 as a draw).

I work in a venue which has 2 Cat 5 lines installed from the tech box to side of stage.

Can you not simply run 2 new circuits? In fact while you're at it run as many a possible from a 300metre box of cable while you're at it, you never know what the future holds.

Edit: Just noticed the previous post.

Possibly a really stupid suggestion, no doubt others will correct me if this is absolutely a non-starter: is it known which pairs in the CAT5 the X32 and the video-over-CAT5 actually use? As it isn't standard ethernet, it is possible that neither use all four pairs, and thus it may be possible, with a specially made passive spliter at each end, to allow them to share the one good cable?

Alternatively (and avoiding any risk associated with sharing the X32's cable) how about trying a crossover wired patch cable at BOTH ends of the video link? This swops over a couple of the pairs used in the cable, and may just conveniently avoid the 'bad' pair, if it's just one. Re-terminating and perhaps swopping over some of the pairs might be a further option to get the 'faulty' cable running again.

As others have said, running a new line in using properly specced cable (and contractors who know what they're doing) is the best option, but one of the above 'bodges' might help get you through in the meantime.

I'm with Tim on this one - have you isolated all other issues with the system?

Also - have you tried swapping the Cat5 lines that the X32 and AV over Cat system are using? X32 may be happy on the "dodgy" line, getting you by until you can draw in 2 (or lots) of new lines.

Possibly a really stupid suggestion, no doubt others will correct me if this is absolutely a non-starter: is it known which pairs in the CAT5 the X32 and the video-over-CAT5 actually use?

AES50, as used by the X32, does use all four pairs.

1 - Audio data transmit +

2 - Audio data transmit –

3 - Audio data receive +

4 - Sync signal transmit +

5 - Sync signal transmit –

6 - Audio data receive –

7 - Sync signal receive +

8 - Sync signal receive –

Just pull in some new cables. anything else is a short term bodge. A couple of hundred quid, and it’s sorted.

The OB says : "badly installed not fit for job cable” - if it’ a pro job, then take it up with the installer. If it’s home-brew, then learn from it.

badly installed not fit for job cable!

What's actually wrong with the cable?

Is it actually cat 5/5e or 6 cable?

Is it damaged?

Why do you think the cable is the problem, and not some other part of the signal chain?

Thnaks for all the replies everyone they have been extremely helpful!

After a bit of playing we are now beginning to suspect that its actually a combination of the cat v to HDMI converters and the cable running alongside power etc and not being shielded. Its also to short so the position of either end isnt ideal! Looking like we will just have to make do with what we have for now. Thanks anyway!

Archived