VGA Thru sockets on D-shell

Ynot

I need to purchase half a dozen panel mount VGA thru connectors (female-female) for a rack tidying job, but whilst the D-shell versions of phono are a couple of quid, and HDMI are maybe a fiver or so, I was gobsmacked to see the price of the VGA bits have shot up (at least since I last bought some) to over £21 for singles (dropping to just under £20 for 5+) at CPC.

And horrified to see some Amazonian sellers retailing them for over FORTY quid!!

So 6 of the wee beasties is going to set me back over a ton, which is almost as much as the rest of the bits I'm getting for this little job.

So - anyone have any other suppliers who can do them at a MUCH cheaper rate? I've had a Google about but not with much success as yet in finding a better price than CPC, but hive minds may have hitherto un-found pages for me to pore over...

Not as pretty as a neutrik, but could you get a d mount blank cut out with a dsub cutout and then just put a F-F HD15 joiner in (using the binding posts to secure). A guy with a small CNC engraver/cutter might be able to do a few of them for very little money.

I still find eBay is the best for this kind of thing.

https://www.ebay.co....jQAAOSwHsRYDeTj

I need them to fit a D-shell hole on a rack strip, else those would be good.

This, from China:

Sadly their delivery timescales won't match my needs this time around. (And no guarantee there won't be import duties this end either).

Thomann are around £15 each - Linky

Possible choice, though not a huge difference to CPC.

Thanks all.

The Chinese option that Mark turned up seems to be a modification of a coupler and a blank panel, similar to what Mac suggested above. That might well be the simplest option, but I'd be worried about how well the cable can mate with the rear of the panel. Not sure how positive a connection you can get. If there's a lacing bar or similar restraint in place you might have a fighting chance.

The blank plate used on the chinese one was quite thick - however as long as the male VGA was protruding or flush with the plate you will get full insertion - and provided the standoffs are installed and used, the connection will be solid.

I'm not sure of the relationship between the size of a D-shell hole and the fixings of the D-sub but in the past I have simply drilled the 2 holes each side of the knockouts in an adaptable box and mounted a gender bender.

Fortunately the appearance was immaterial so the gaps each side were ignored, I've seen some 3d printed plates made for something similar.

Additionally I've mounted moulded plugs or sockets directly in the same way avoiding the need for the cost of the gender bender.

The 'trick' with any DIY solution (because yes - the regular F-F D-sockets for VGA are only a couple of quid...) is getting them kitted with the right stand-off so that we can screw the VGA plugs in BOTH sides to keep them secure - that I don't believe is an easy win...

The 'trick' with any DIY solution (because yes - the regular F-F D-sockets for VGA are only a couple of quid...) is getting them kitted with the right stand-off so that we can screw the VGA plugs in BOTH sides to keep them secure - that I don't believe is an easy win...
It depends on the thickness of the panel, generally I find up to 1mm works fine, but removing a bit from the supplied hex fixing and possibly the included screw I've not yet failed to get make it work OK.

I prefer to get the adapter on the side where most frequent replugging occurs which tends to be be the least attractive.

The other trick I've used for thicker panels is to use a socket with long PCB or wire wrap pins on one side of the panel and plug them into a F-F adapter the other side of the panel. Careful selection of fixings and washers/spacers then needed to make it stable and secure.

Archived