Connectors for RGBW LED tape

gareth

Anyone got any 'hot tips' for decent connectors to use for making up some touring assemblies involving RGBW tape? Obviously need to be 5-pole, reasonably cheap, not too bulky, ideally available in black, would be nice to avoid 5-pin XLR so as to alleviate possible confusion with DMX when given to venue crews to install!

These chinese waterproof type ones seem to be common. They come with the cable already moulded on so save termination time. They are a bit of a faff to disconnect if you do up the locking screw too much. But you can buy T's and ready made extension cables.

https://www.ebay.co....mm/232894389950

edit... that ad does not actually sell 5 pin ones despite listing them in the title. This one has 5 pin

https://www.ebay.co....-U/232894388715

This is only a thought, which is a bodge and not very fully thought through, but recently when in a pinch for RGB tape connecters I used 3-pin XLR and used the solder contacts on the shield for the 4th connector. So by that logic 4-pin XLRs with the shield / casing at the 5th pole would work, but it probably results in +12V on the casing so that depends on the environment as to whether that's a concern.

This is only a thought, which is a bodge and not very fully thought through, but recently when in a pinch for RGB tape connecters I used 3-pin XLR and used the solder contacts on the shield for the 4th connector. So by that logic 4-pin XLRs with the shield / casing at the 5th pole would work, but it probably results in +12V on the casing so that depends on the environment as to whether that's a concern.

Just have to be a bit careful with that type of scenario as you would need to be absolutely sure that only your 'special' cable was used. This is because the XLR shells aren't routinely connected, or worse (for this scenario) some people tie the shell contact to pin 1 when soldering up a lead. That means if someone tried to use, say, a scroller cable (4-pin XLR) they would find it either wouldn't work, or worse, could short out your power rail to ground!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've looked at various alternatives, but to be honest as it's very much a temporary one-tour-only kinda thing I think I'm just going to go with 5-pin XLR - for reasons of both cost and aesthetics. I'll just avoid giving the job to any venue crew and plug it all up myself at every venue, to avoid any potential confusion!

Archived