LD90 Strandlightning

StevenWald

Hello there,I'm new so a little introduction first.

I work as a teacher at a Waldorf School in the Netherlands (so sorry for any mis-spelling)For our plays we used 2 old Zero 88 dimmers. One broke down last year due to it's age. Via Via we got a used Strand Dimmer LD90. It had been stored in a theater but they could't use it ( not enough free wall space for mounting) so they gave it to us. I know for a fact that it worked. Now yesterday my dad and I installed the thing technically. He used to install technical instatations for his profession so I'm pretty sure he put the right wires to the richt connectorshttp://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif. We also followed the manual.When we tried to start the thing up, the LED's Lit op saying it's ok. But the LCD display didn't show any information. The only thing we could see were darker squares in the display.

I think there may have been made some kind of adjustment by the previous owners (It once was used in a concert hall, maybe as part of a larger system).I already looked through the manual but didn't find specific hints for troubleshooting this error.So who has any troughts?Thank you in advance,

The only thing we could see were darker squares in the display.

Black squares on a display mean one of two things...

1) The contrast adjustment on the display needs adjusting. You'll need to read the manual to see if this is something you can adjust.

2) The display has not been initialised. This might be something simple like a loose connection between the display and the processor card or it could be something major like the processor is faulty.

Have a careful read of the manual and let's hope it's 1) that is the problem.

To adjust the contrast just press the + or - keys (from the top level of the menus when it shows "Rack 01". The processor doesn't remember the setting between power cycles. It is unlikely to be a poor connection on the display as it is soldered in place.

Your suggestion did the trick! Thanks. Now that the dimmer is online the next problem occured: it doesnt respond to its DMX signal. I checked wiring 1 earth, 2 black and three red. Connector problem on mainboard? One light did lit up but didn't respond to the mixpanel.

Dimmer is set in factory default settings

There is the facility, in the menus, to turn on individual outputs. Does this work?

How do you know the DMX wiring is correct? What desk are you using? At the very simplest, swap your red and black wires where they connect to the dimmers.

Is the "A MUX OK" LED on?

If not, select "MUX INPUT" (top left button) and ensure DMX is selected.

After this, ensure the "PATCH" for the dimmers is correct for the range you need.

K

And make sure you are looking straight at the panel when you check the LEDs. They are set back from the holes somewhat and it is possible to see the OK LED through the A MUX OK hole.

There is the facility, in the menus, to turn on individual outputs. Does this work?

How do you know the DMX wiring is correct? What desk are you using? At the very simplest, swap your red and black wires where they connect to the dimmers.

DMX wiring; I checked all the connectors visual.

The individual outputs, is it the same as the patch settings?

Many thanks for your sugestions.

Is the "A MUX OK" LED on?

If not, select "MUX INPUT" (top left button) and ensure DMX is selected.

After this, ensure the "PATCH" for the dimmers is correct for the range you need.

K

Ahem feeling a little 'noob' here since I thougt it was kind of 'plug and play' stuff...the mixer unit is also a strandlight product. Ot had 2*12 channels. Since we have only 12 par lights, it seemed a good choise. I'll get into the patch settings tonight.

Just today I was getting no joy with what looked like a cheap DMX to analogue board of unknown provenance.

Only worked when I finally swapped hot/cold in spite of the markings on the header!

To OP: Not sure I'd describe fitting an LD90 as plug and play. Too many configurations and variables. All fixable though.

Just today I was getting no joy with what looked like a cheap DMX to analogue board of unknown provenance.

Only worked when I finally swapped hot/cold in spite of the markings on the header!

To OP: Not sure I'd describe fitting an LD90 as plug and play. Too many configurations and variables. All fixable though.

In case there's any doubt, the pin numbers on the orange header match the XLR pin numbers on a correctly configured DMX output.

https://imgur.com/a/hEZgsrs

In case there's any doubt, the pin numbers on the orange header match the XLR pin numbers on a correctly configured DMX output.

Today I got the whole thing working! Decided to set the dimmer back to it's default settings. As one of you suggested the whole patch thing was the problem for the dimmer not to respond to the mixer. As soon as it was set back to factory defaults all lights worked and in the right order. So I guess I 'm out of the fog and into the clear. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. Glad that there are people who help another out.Kind Regards,Steven W.

Today I got the whole thing working! Decided to set the dimmer back to it's default settings. As one of you suggested the whole patch thing was the problem for the dimmer not to respond to the mixer. As soon as it was set back to factory defaults all lights worked and in the right order. So I guess I 'm out of the fog and into the clear. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. Glad that there are people who help another out.Kind Regards,Steven W.

Excellent - another Blue Room triumph!

Dave

To adjust the contrast just press the + or - keys (from the top level of the menus when it shows "Rack 01". The processor doesn't remember the setting between power cycles. It is unlikely to be a poor connection on the display as it is soldered in place.

Just as a side note, the processor can remember the settings if it has been callibrated.

K

Archived