Stage Box common earth

Doug Siddons

In the process of making up a new stage box, I have a decent length of Olflex Classic 110 cable which is 12 pair and one earth so that should either make one eight way box not using the earth or a 12 way using the earth as common. Obviously there will be a box at either end if I go 12 way.

What are the collective thoughts on either system

Olflex Classic 110 looks like 12 core mains to me, comprising 11 black sheathed cores and one green & yellow; in the light of this could you elaborate on your intended use?
It's a 12+1 control cable so speakers etc not low level audio (I hope).
Like these I believe it is an SY/CY style of cable, I have had to pay their high prices when it's been spec'ed on jobs.

As far as I see the only advantage with the product is the number of different colours it's available. It's possible 110 is available in twisted pair versions but I've not encountered it.

Can you do us a favour and double check the version you have.

In the process of making up a new stage box, I have a decent length of Olflex Classic 110 cable which is 12 pair and one earth so that should either make one eight way box not using the earth or a 12 way using the earth as common. Obviously there will be a box at either end if I go 12 way.

What are the collective thoughts on either system

Since that cable is available in a variety of wire diameters it is important to know what you actually have. In 25 core the largest appears to be 1.5 square mm. This is suitable for speaker lines that are not high power. Since it is not twisted pair it is not suitable for other audio uses. It is ok to use unshielded twisted pair for line level signals, and generally the lack of a ground conductor is fine. How many times have we used a ground lifter to try to solve a buzz problem? For low level signals like mic level the pairs should be twisted and shielded. Olflex 110 does not seem to meet these requirements.

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Archived