Starter rig for Video Wall

Uriahdemon

Hi, I was wondering if someone could please give me some advice regarding the gear to use to put together a small video wall for use with live bands. Ideally I would like to control it via a Zero88 FLX desk. I would like to get something small but be able to add to it in time ideally. As always any information is very much appreciated.

Best Rgds

What sort of budget do you have in mind? Are you looking to buy kit to do this? Or rent? Dry hire?

Why the zero 88 desk? Are you planning on combining the lx and video operator roles?

What sort of content wil you want to show? How bit a screen do you want?

Thinking of the kit I use, for a basic wall (assuming you mean an LED wall) I would grab:

• Laptop with media server software (I like Resolume Arena, others swear by other software)

• Video wall processor (these will be determined by the video panels you choose)

• Panels, depending on content you could look at something very low pitch for motion graphics, or you may need something tighter if you’re up close to the audience and wanting to show detail. Panels also come in varying shapes and sizes. My faves at the moment are 500mm wide and 1000mm tall, so we can quickly build up a large wall. Other panels are natively 16:9 format so you can easily keep aspect ratios correct.

• Cables and power Distro to plug it all in!

You have artnet control from your desk, so you should be able to control your media server laptop over Ethernet to pull up presets you like.

This is a huge subject and I’ve barely scraped the top.

What sort of budget do you have in mind? Are you looking to buy kit to do this? Or rent? Dry hire?

Why the zero 88 desk? Are you planning on combining the lx and video operator roles?

What sort of content wil you want to show? How bit a screen do you want?

Thinking of the kit I use, for a basic wall (assuming you mean an LED wall) I would grab:

• Laptop with media server software (I like Resolume Arena, others swear by other software)

• Video wall processor (these will be determined by the video panels you choose)

• Panels, depending on content you could look at something very low pitch for motion graphics, or you may need something tighter if you're up close to the audience and wanting to show detail. Panels also come in varying shapes and sizes. My faves at the moment are 500mm wide and 1000mm tall, so we can quickly build up a large wall. Other panels are natively 16:9 format so you can easily keep aspect ratios correct.

• Cables and power Distro to plug it all in!

You have artnet control from your desk, so you should be able to control your media server laptop over Ethernet to pull up presets you like.

This is a huge subject and I've barely scraped the top.

Thanks Empythree.... much appreciated.

I am looking to control the lights and video by myself. The budget can (if possible to get what I need) up to 10K but less would be more appropriate. Basically looking to have a flexible display which would allow me approx 1m across and 2m high times 3 so split. I would also like to use them together i.e. 3m across and 2m high for another config I was thinking of.

Content unknown just now and if that makes a difference to the price I will cut the cloth accordingly however something static on occasions and also perhaps video and moving graphics. I am looking to rig it suspended from the ground at this stage but may want to fly it later.

Hopefully also the less power hungry the better.

Hi

You can't cut starcloth - they are built to a specific size.

There are loads and loads of cheapy med-res cloths available, mostly chinese, however they aren't that bad. It's the control that is the issue. Madrix can talk to the majority of them.

However, as an alternative, consider something like this; https://www.usedlighting.com/33309/ayrton-intellipix-r

Not only can you pixel map them, but they're also good for backlight and give your lighting some edge.

All the best

Timmeh

I think you’d be very lucky to get 6sqm of used LED Screen, processor cabling and ground support for that sort of figure.

You’ll also need to factor in transport - we’re providing a screen of 3.5m x2m to a client next week - transport weight is nearly 1000kg, by the time ballast to satisfy the engineers calcs is considered. It just fits weight wise in a Fiat Ducato van, with no other kit. Different products may weigh less, but then you may need more support to make it rigid.

We’ve got half metre square panels (0.5m x 1m) which weigh around 14kg per panel. You’d need twelve panels to make up what you described.

For something as small as this I’d probably use a tank trap, length of scarf and some suitable clamps to fasten your panels to the scaff. Then a pile of stage weights on the back of the tank trap for ballast. I reckon you’d be looking at 60kg or panels and cables, 25kg for a tank trap, 50kg of ballast and maybe 10kg for the scaff, this is per 1m x 2m section. So around 150kg per section. Add a bit on for control and cases and you’re around half a ton.

I’m afraid I don’t generally get involved in the price of these things (I know rental prices, not purchase prices)

Thanks very much !!

We've got half metre square panels (0.5m x 1m) which weigh around 14kg per panel. You'd need twelve panels to make up what you described.

For something as small as this I'd probably use a tank trap, length of scarf and some suitable clamps to fasten your panels to the scaff. Then a pile of stage weights on the back of the tank trap for ballast. I reckon you'd be looking at 60kg or panels and cables, 25kg for a tank trap, 50kg of ballast and maybe 10kg for the scaff, this is per 1m x 2m section. So around 150kg per section. Add a bit on for control and cases and you're around half a ton.

I'm afraid I don't generally get involved in the price of these things (I know rental prices, not purchase prices)

Archived