Lighting bar servicing

knightdan65

Hi folks,

Recently started working at a college theatre and they have no records of ever having had lighting system inspected since their installation in 2001. Does anyone know if we are in breach of health and safety law by continuing to use it without an up to date assessment? I'm looking for ways to up the pressure on management to spend the cash on an inspection and service. Any insight much appreciated.

Thanks

AFAIK it's not a legal requirement as such. It's usually down to insurance companies that insist on inspections at predefined periods, and of course best practice.

If someone was injured then it's likely the company/individual may have criminal charges brought against them for negligence, but the crime wouldn't be not inspecting equipment, it would be more down to not maintaining equipment.

It's possible in your case the equipment may be in very good order and well maintained, but just not had a 'formal' inspection with records to show. No crime, just not great practice.

Recently started working at a college theatre and they have no records of ever having had lighting system inspected since their installation in 2001. Does anyone know if we are in breach of health and safety law by continuing to use it without an up to date assessment? I'm looking for ways to up the pressure on management to spend the cash on an inspection and service. Any insight much appreciated.

The first thing I would do would be to either check existing or create a risk assessment for the area and send it to the responsible manager for 'sign off'. This can sometimes have the required effect. You don't mention whether you are dealing with electrical or mechanical inspection, but there's loads of useful and clear info on the HSE website, these pages in particular might prove useful;

http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment-machinery/loler.htm

http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment-machinery/inspection.htm

http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/information/law.htm

Most H&S law really boils down to using appropriate, maintained kit for it's intended purpose by trained people. If you haven't got those bits right and something goes wrong then it could end up costing the college an awful lot.

One thing to mention is that if you do get an inspection organised, ensure the company have experience in servicing theatrical venues. Do a search on here and you'll find many stories of domestic electrical contractors coming into a theatre space, cutting off all the 15a plugs and fitting 13a in their place etc...

FWIW my lighting bars were load tested annually at my last school - electrical test I believe was every 5 years (I was only there for 2 years so didn't see one done).

Thanks all, most helpful. I’ve got a quote from the company who designed and installed the system back in 2001 to look at both the mechanical and electrical components. They are static bars so a relatively simple setup. I’d like to get them inspected regardless of legal implications, but if there are legal/insurance implications, the college governors are more likely to part with the cash. I’ll have a look at LOLER guidelines. Cheers all!

Static bars don't really fall under LOLER - but PUWER is still in there with a shout.

I'm sure there are many good companies out there, but I must put in a good word for Stage Electrics who have just done an excellent inspection/testing job for us (no other connection, just a very happy chappie).

As somebody who used to make a lot of noise about doing things properly, sometimes, being silent brings the ability to take two steps backwards when necessary. If you make a noise, prove that something is needed, and there's no budget left, then the powers that be will simply dictate it cannot be used, not necessarily fix it! You also get amateur experts then insisting that you get fixed lighting bars checked out of your budget when fixed bars are not part of LOLER, but you can't convince them. You get all sorts of obstacles stuck in the way - just for trying to do it properly. Of course if you feel something is dangerous, you must speak out, but if you feel the opposite, then sometimes not being involved is best. My craftiness, trying to get expensive extra kit frequently backfired - as in the A frame ladder being banned, but the telescope delayed for a year!

Looking at this from a slightly different angle. You say there is no record of a previous inspection. Is it the case that you also have no load test certificates, engineering calculations or any other similar documentation from the original installation? If this is the case, how do you know the maximum load that can be hung on the bars, regardless of their age and condition? You don't even know what they were designed to take.

I would think you are justified in asking for an engineers report on the load capacity of these bars. Without knowing the capacity how can you justify saying no to a request that would result in a hazardous situation?

As others have said, make sure you use a company with experience of theatrical venues.

Agree that along with a periodic check of the bars, you should have an idea of the loading that each bar can take.Display it in the lighting store and the box. Weigh the lantern types and round it up so you know that you can fit 10 x 1k's and 2 x2k's per bar or whatever

First make your own assessment, maybe it's time to get up there and clean it and look, then clean the lanterns and check for function and safety. Yes the requirements for fixed bars seem to be very trivial compared with the regs for bars that lift or lower.

Archived