Downsizing Small PA

tele_savalas

Hi, I'm currently running a duo with backing tracks - mostly doing 80's Tribute Shows. I'm wondering if it's viable to change my setup from 2x RCF TT08's and an RCF SUB AS905 Mk 2 down to just a couple of tops without losing too much bottom end or quality. Venues are normally max 200 -ish? Is it possible to get a decent performance out of a pair of 15's or even 12's? Budget is around 4k. Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1531430558[/url]' post='564295']

For 200 people, you'll miss the sub and the headroom, albeit comparable 12" tops will play a few dB louder. What is the reason you're considering a change?

Ultimately the sub - I'm getting on, and apart from 39kgs, it's quite a squeeze to fit in my car, along with all the rest of the stuff I gig with. I'd considered a smaller sub- a 12" - as well, but not sure whether that is a good option, either.

Some of the 12" subs only play a couple of dB less than their larger counterparts. I recall the db technologies sub 12D was quite good size/24kg weight/output ratio - we have sold a few of these over the years.

If you move from 8" to 15" tops, I fear you may just be transferring and doubling the weight issue you are trying to resolve.

1531431268[/url]' post='564298']

Some of the 12" subs only play a couple of dB less than their larger counterparts. I recall the db technologies sub 12D was quite good size/24kg weight/output ratio - we have sold a few of these over the years.

If you move from 8" to 15" tops, I fear you may just be transferring and doubling the weight issue you are trying to resolve.

Thanks for your reply, Tony. I'll see if I can audition some smaller subs, and see if it works for me.

We’ve got a few dozen of the evox 8’s and use them for everything from conference to party. We’ve also just added a couple of the larger evox 12’s which are a much fuller sound. They also have a (flimsy?) pull out handle and wheels like a suitcase.

You'll struggle to match up to the quality of your existing TT-08 tops! RCF used to make a tasty 12" TT sub, which partnered the tops very well, but no longer. Keeping to brand, there's the HDL 12-AS, which would appear a reasonable option for you to try out. A tad under £1,400. 25kg, 131dB max SPL.

I use TT08a with the TTS12a subs, but I don’t think you can get them any more.

See if you can get a demo of the dB Technologies ES1203.

A friend has one, and it's amazing for the size.

You'll struggle to match up to the quality of your existing TT-08 tops!

That's going to be the problem. Any of the "standard" solutions often recommended for speaker-on-sticks setups are a step down in quality from the TTs, even staying within RCFs stable. OP could try bigger TT models without sub coverage, but that's just going to shift the weight from the sub to the top.

If you don't like lifting your tops onto stands then you certainly will dislike putting 15" full range on stands

So true, and I'm gigging with a female who tends to arrive "just after the gear is set up".

I use TT08a with the TTS12a subs, but I don't think you can get them any more.

See if you can get a demo of the dB Technologies ES1203.

A friend has one, and it's amazing for the size.

You're correct, Mark- The TT12s has been discontinued. I've tried RCF and some retailers for old stoc, and watch eBay religiously, but never saw one. I think that would be a great option- even one.

One thing on the TT08's - I've seen it said that "they need EQ - ing out of the box". Being a total Luddite re EQ I tend to run my system flat. Am I missing something?

No, I don’t think so. In a good room, flat sounds pretty good to me.

I also have a pair of the 12” TT tops which I can confirm are adifficult to get onto stands alone, and in my opinion don’t sound quite as sweet as the 8” do.

If you have deep pockets,, then find some KV2 to listen to,. There’s several options from them - for instance a couple of the 2x6” tops with a 12” sub Sound fantastic.

Archived