Electric piano into mixer

DoctorStar

Handily, the headphone socket can be used alongside the aux so I am going to use the headphone jack to feed a powered monitor speaker whilst the aux sends to the desk. Need to get a good whack for the piano monitor but for no one else.

That's useful, on the clavinova at my daughter's school the headphone jack cuts off the line out signal. I can't think of a situation where that would be useful, but Yamaha obviously thought it was.

Handily, the headphone socket can be used alongside the aux so I am going to use the headphone jack to feed a powered monitor speaker whilst the aux sends to the desk

what make of DI's are you using? as the usual way of doing this is to feed the keyboard into the di and use the link output on the di to feed your monitor and the di's balanced output to feed your mixer

It is literally the cheapest one Thomann had for sale 5 years ago......I think I had change from a tenner. It has a link socket on the same fascia as the input.

Timsabre: What was a little weird when plugging in the headphone jack there appeared to be a second sound inside the machine that sounded like a relay.........I will double check again later in the week with my mini PA mixer rig.

Time for another round of testing...........

KR

DrS

The line out doesn't cut the internal speaker but set against a band the speaker is a little puny. One improvement I'm trying to make is that the pianist wants to feel they're playing and so asks for a pile of piano in the monitor. However, no one else wants 110% piano in their wedges. We end up wasting one of the two channels of monitors just to satisfy the piano players.

I want a dedicated monitor speaker for the piano player. The DI box kills two birds with one stone.

KR

DrS

no birds were hurt in the writing of this post

I want a dedicated monitor speaker for the piano player. The DI box kills two birds with one stone.
Then the piano player will want other parts of the mix in the piano monitor...

I was just about to make the same comment as Tim.

One of my jobs we ended up with a small mixer taking the DI feed, one of the monitors and the house then leaving the mix entirely up to the organist.

Handily, the headphone socket can be used alongside the aux so I am going to use the headphone jack to feed a powered monitor speaker whilst the aux sends to the desk. Need to get a good whack for the piano monitor but for no one else.

That's useful, on the clavinova at my daughter's school the headphone jack cuts off the line out signal. I can't think of a situation where that would be useful, but Yamaha obviously thought it was.

That's just seems silly! I play the piano regularly on stage and I'm also a bit of a part time soundy. Is that across the board with Yamaha's do you know (I'm a Roland boy!)?

Timsabre: What was a little weird when plugging in the headphone jack there appeared to be a second sound inside the machine that sounded like a relay.........I will double check again later in the week with my mini PA mixer rig.

What machine sorry, was it in the piano? Every stage piano that I've used will mute the speakers on itself when something is plugged into the headphone output(s) but will allow the line outs to remain. I've never heard a secondary sound from one :S

The line out doesn't cut the internal speaker but set against a band the speaker is a little puny. One improvement I'm trying to make is that the pianist wants to feel they're playing and so asks for a pile of piano in the monitor. However, no one else wants 110% piano in their wedges. We end up wasting one of the two channels of monitors just to satisfy the piano players.

I've played a few times with a decent set of cans from the headphone output which will mute the speakers on the piano but are reactive to the volume on the piano along with a generic mix from a monitor. Could always suggest that you can push your normal mix through the monitors and the pianist can then have as much / little piano as they would like through their headphones?

I think this his where the little hot-spot style monitors come into their own - small, close, little mixer, and blow anyone else.

Yes, this is the sort of thing Paul means - you can feed a full band monitor mix from the mixer, and also take the piano feed in directly - the musician can then set their own mix. They are quite directional so if positioned correctly the musician can get a good blast of their own sound without blowing everyone else away

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-Eurolive-B205D-Active-150W-PA-Monitor

Ta. Google added about 5 pages of tracking links on the end which I tried to remove but obviously failed. Anyway we use those monitors at my church for people who need more me' and they are very effective.

I'll give them my approval too, one of the guys I sometimes work with has a load and uses them as the PA system with surprisingly good results. But I object to trailing mains and line level cables around a field for a fete.

For a fete??? Why would you use those for a fete? Wrong tool for the job...
You know that, and I know that.

But he seems to like the system. The great thing about the 205's is the size and weight, they are only about 12x8" and mount on a mic stand/boom with ease, I must add that it does seem to work OK.

He also has their 12" & 15" bigger brothers but all of his speakers are powered, he even rolls 50m 'mic' lead and mains on the same drums.

Archived