confused about par cans

strandgsx

I may be being really stupid, but ive never worked with par 36 cans so here is my problem......

In one of my most recent lighting designs which is to be implimented in a few weeks, I have over centre stage a one meter square truss square with 2 par 36 on each side, one pointing in and one pointing out, they are to be chased in a round, (do you get the idea).

its quite a high budget show and to make things easy I decided to use one of those njd logic chasers, it has bulgin outputs (like what the djs use).

My main point of confusion is, these par 36 have transformers, so are they able to flash in sequence provided via the chase controller? the unit will happily feed all 8 cans.

Hope I dont sound un educated and stupid, having a long day.

Par 36 bulbs, iirc are between about 30W or 40W. So that's the kind of power you'll be drawing from the controller I would guess (Assuming the transformer is pretty close to 100% efficiency). I've never had any problem with Par 36s drawing too much current from my controller and each of its outputs is rated at 5A, so I guess you'll be fine with the NJD chaser, although, if it's a big budget show, why not stick them on a rack?

hey,

so transformers are ok to be dimmed and switched at reasonable speed??

I dont want to put them in a rack as ill use 8 more channels which will then need to be programmed into a chase sequence which would have to be cued, its a dance show and the effect is going to be triggered by the dancers themselves.

makes things easier.

cheers

Guest lightnix
so transformers are ok to be dimmed and switched at reasonable speed??

You must first make sure that your dimmers are capable of handling inductive loads (e.g. transformers), otherwise you'll knacker them. If they can't, you can get around the problem by adding "dummy loads" to the circuits, in the shape of, say, 1kW lanterns, grelco'd in with each PAR36 and hidden somewhere, maybe coloured with 181 to help hide them.

I dont want to put them in a rack as ill use 8 more channels which will then need to be programmed into a chase sequence which would have to be cued, its a dance show and the effect is going to be triggered by the dancers themselves.

right]

The NJD controllers of which you speak are 4 channel, are you planning on using two? if so it may prove difficult to exactly match the speed on them. for ease of use, I agree with the dimmer idea, as (dependant on your desk) it should be relatively simple to plot a chase with t hat few a number of channels, it also gives you the option of doing more than just a round and round in the same direction type effect.

acls and fresnels etc will be too bright, and too large. its not supposed to be a serious act of eye candy, its just something that fits in to a particular moment in the show.

the dancefloor is fitted with pressure pad switches so during one scene certain strange things are triggered by the dancers themselves.

the reason I dont want to plot a chase into a desk is because it will be very hard to cue, the njd unit has a footswitch which is being adapted today.

I was hoping to run all 8 par 36 off the one unit, it says in the book that it is quite capable of doing so, (ive seen people running 8 par 64's off these things).

I just knew in the back of my mind that there would be a problem using par36's but they seem to be the smallest most effective thing ive found.

cheers

If it helps at all, if you can get hold of classic Par 36 shells (i.e. ones with no pinspot lamp and transformer) you could lamp them up with AR111 'Halospot' 4deg 50w 12v lamps which in my opinion are superior to Pinspots... And more realiable. I have 8 in my stock and never had any issues with them, running off a bog standard 12v trannie.

Hope this helps.

Stu

Bit Late with this probably, but:

The NJD range of DJ type chasers can easily take 8 Par 36 pin spots and probably up to 120 without problems (0.14 amps per head)

If in double call the technicians at NJD in Cambs they are usually most helpful.

Archived