Petition to 'Save Tungsten'.

Ynot

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestion was that separate lamps and reflectors might replace the large PAR lamps, similar to raylights but available in a choice of beam angles. I don't expect halogen lamps to completely vanish for decades yet, but I do expect that the choice will decline and that prices will rise. A reflector will give more options as to what lamp is used with it.

We have all seen the various ways in which the ban on GLS lamps has been evaded. Similar tactics seem likely with halogen lamps.

Interesting to read the Wikipedia entry for Source Four PAR "The Source Four PAR is a stage lighting instrument manufactured by Electronic Theatre Controls. The name of the fixture derives from the stylistic and construction features it shares with ETC's Source Four. The suffix identifies the Source Four PAR as a parabolic aluminized reflector (PAR). It is designed and marketed as a modern, energy efficient alternative to traditional PAR fixtures used in theatrical and broadcast lighting"

Interesting to read the Wikipedia entry for Source Four PAR "The Source Four PAR is a stage lighting instrument manufactured by Electronic Theatre Controls. The name of the fixture derives from the stylistic and construction features it shares with ETC's Source Four. The suffix identifies the Source Four PAR as a parabolic aluminized reflector (PAR). It is designed and marketed as a modern, energy efficient alternative to traditional PAR fixtures used in theatrical and broadcast lighting"

Yes- that would be correct. I assume you’ve seen or used one before? Removable lens for various beam angles. Uses the 575w HPL lamp (or more recently the 750w HPL) - the 575 is meant to be roughly equivalent to a 1k

The source four PAR is a perfectly nice light in its own right, but in my experience it doesn't offer the same 'benefits' as a traditional PAR64, and isn't really a direct substitute.(benefits being the option to use a parcan as a paintstripper, and (apocryphally) to fry an egg). Edited by andy_s

The source four PAR is a perfectly nice light in its own right, but in my experience it doesn't offer the same 'benefits' as a traditional PAR64, and isn't really a direct substitute.(benefits being the option to use a parcan as a paintstripper, and (apocryphally) to fry an egg).

All true

Although for exhibition stands, the S4 PAR has no equal in terms of aesthetics. You can also mix and match the PAR with the PARnel and they look the same, which is obviously important when your lighting grid needs to be a work of art in itself.

All the best

Timmeh

The S4 par is pretty but as Andy_s says, it's no match for a proper PAR64. And I am not really a fan of the Parnel either except for washing big areas. I've had them with barn doors on which look very trendy but are completely pointless as the large diffuser/lens means they don't work.

would the name be "Light Engineering"?

I honestly cant remember.I spotted it at the abtt show either 96 or 97,the stand was one of the smaller cubicles and was nothing much more than a table.The only other thing I recall was the focus wheel was were you'd normally grab a par lamp to rotate it.

Hi

I just about remember raylights, they were popular in rave clubs at the time. IIRC they were very good at burning holes in things, notably starcloths.

As an aside the S4 Par stole the rotatable lens idea from them, although both were equally useless, if the fixture had been running more than 10 minutes the thing would usually jam due to expansion and would also melt your fingertips if you tried to move it.

All the best

Timmeh.