Vintage haze pots.

bigclive

Does anyone remember one of the earliest haze effects that was used in early nightclubs to create a very fine particulate haze in the air?

They used a heated ceramic pot which was sometimes a ceramic cone with bare live external element wound round it (origins in scientific equipment). The cone or pot was loaded with sal ammoniac (ammonium chloride) which would liberate a vapour that then reformed into a solid in the air as a very fine dust with good optical properties. Totally non compliant with modern safety regulations as it could genuinely cause irritation for some people if used in excess.

But my question is... What power rating were the heater pots? I remember looking at one many decades ago, but there was no data on it.

Does anyone remember one of the earliest haze effects that was used in early nightclubs to create a very fine particulate haze in the air?

I used to be a technician for a chemistry teaching lab. Every now and then, timetabling would schedule a business studies class in there... not an appropriate space for them, but our complaints weren't heeded. It was easier to unscrew the tops of the ammonium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid bottles and let the room fill with a glorious fine haze that rolled down from the chemicals rack.

It emptied the room of unwanted students pretty fast...

Ah, it's one of the bare open cones. Popular in America in a lab environment which probably explains the 120V rating.

660W is much higher than I was expecting.

I'm pretty sure the one I saw in a UK venue was fully enclosed and designed for 240V.

Here you go

I'm going to make the claim that I remember a heater with a polished copper reflector on a heavy cast iron mount which had one of those, I even remember going to a shop in Chatham called Varleys around 1966 to 68 to get a replacement wire element which had to be carefully stretched so the coils were evenly spaced as it was wound along the length of the groove. The parallel sided versions were available off the shelf but the conical version was supposedly more efficient.

Also I should still have a dummy load for amplifiers made around 1996 with a 750W element, from the same store, cut into 4 16ohm pieces and pop riveted onto steel brackets

unscrew the tops of the ammonium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid bottles and let the room fill with a glorious fine haze that rolled down from the chemicals rack

Always one of my favourites when I was teaching chemistry. Always had the wow factor.

The heater versions were more of a cylindrical core wound with the heater coil. The cone version is designed to have stuff put inside it

As I wrote - parallel sided were available off the shelf but the conical version was supposed to be more efficient.

Presumably as it was 'facing' the reflector.

Archived