Adding audio to HDMI signal

soundspider

Hi,

Church has a ptz camera with hdmi video out and sends signal via a hdmi over cat5 system to a hall. Problem is, its picture only, no sound. Is there a straighforward way of adding audio from the mixing desk to the camera visual signal which I can the de-embed at the other end so the visual bit goes into a projector and the sound to the PA system? All I can think of is converting the hdmi out of the camera to, say vga, then converting vga + audio back to hdmi, but that seems very messy.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

If it goes into a vision mixer, the audio may be stripped back out- checkI wouldn't combine the camera with the sound pre mixer just to cut down on cables, you might be better running a mixer audio feed or placed mic into the post mix send to the projector.

Most projectors with hdmi will split the sound inside the projector and send it out of an output on the projector- which may be good enough?

• 2 weeks later...
It strikes me that it may be easier to keep pictures and sound separate. If you can run audio cables from your mix position to the PA in the other hall, you don't need to do it over HDMI and you avoid a lot of complexity IMHO.

If the infrastructure is available or can be added, I'd say it's a much better way of doing it without running from balanced to unbalanced, AtoD, DtoA etc. On top of that the HDMI doesn't have to be active to get audio running.

Archived