Fresnels

xllx

I need to purchase a couple of basic kits for lighting simple conferences.

Many years ago, when I last had to do this, it would have been 4 x CCT Minuette profiles and 4 x Minuette fresnels, on two stands.

I like, have used, and probably will buy Source 4 Jr zooms as the profiles but not sure what the current "go to" fresnel would be. Any experience on what's currently available in the 500/650w area would be appreciated as it's not a type of kit I've bought for a while.

I might consider LED, but am really looking at tungsten as we have dimmers etc already.

Thoughts anyone?

Acclaim Fresnels would probably be the go to, but you may be just as well to look at some of the LED film/video softlights. No heat, less power, usually lighter too. S4J zooms are hard to argue with. If you're going that route, have a look at the S4 Fresnel - keeps your lamp stock all matched up.

I'd get a quote for some of the Elumen8 LED kit as a comparison. Comes in white too, which can be good in corporate land. Just 1 16A and 1 DMX to each stand, so cable runs are smarter too.

For me it would be an Arri 650 plus, available in black, takes a cp89 lamp, lots of my corporate clients now stock these or the trueblue 1k as their fresnel of choice. The days of trying to mangle a minuette barn door into its runners are thankfully over!

Another vote for the Acclaim F - tough call between the S4 Jr and the Acclaim Profile - if you need fresnels as well I'd maybe be tempted to go for the Acclaim Profile too - there's some parts commonality I think which is quite nice for maintenance. Also makes the rig look uniform which might be a consideration for corporate....

Just 1 16A and 1 DMX to each stand, so cable runs are smarter too.

We've been experimenting with some relatively cheap wireless DMX units - they are basically an elongated XLR barrel with an aerial poking out. Seem to be very robust and make corporate-style gigs much easier when you're not chasing cables around the room.

Maybe worth considering if you're in the mood to spend some money.

Another vote for the Acclaim F - tough call between the S4 Jr and the Acclaim Profile - if you need fresnels as well I'd maybe be tempted to go for the Acclaim Profile too - there's some parts commonality I think which is quite nice for maintenance. Also makes the rig look uniform which might be a consideration for corporate....

Assuming you're talking about the Zoomspot, I don't really think there's any comparison between that and a S4 Junior...you actually get light out of the front of a S4 Jnr...;)

We like the little Selecon Acclaim units. Seem pretty robust.

Yes, I've used these in the past, nice little lamps

S4J zooms are hard to argue with. If you're going that route, have a look at the S4 Fresnel - keeps your lamp stock all matched up.

I'd get a quote for some of the Elumen8 LED kit as a comparison. Comes in white too, which can be good in corporate land. Just 1 16A and 1 DMX to each stand, so cable runs are smarter too.

Good thought, hadn't considered the ETC fresnels

I might look at Elumen8 just for a comparison, which is the best company to talk to for these?

For me it would be an Arri 650 plus, available in black, takes a cp89 lamp...

The days of trying to mangle a minuette barn door into its runners are thankfully over!

Ooh, I like that idea, have always liked Arri kit. More expensive than the Acclaims, but similar price to the ETC...

Minuette: barndoors made from tinfoil!

We've been experimenting with some relatively cheap wireless DMX units - they are basically an elongated XLR barrel with an aerial poking out. Seem to be very robust and make corporate-style gigs much easier when you're not chasing cables around the room.

I have a couple of these, which I keep in my spares kit and have been considering them. Not had any problems, but not used them on anything really mission critical yet.

Thanks folks, a couple of ideas to follow up.

I might look at Elumen8 just for a comparison, which is the best company to talk to for these?

Central Theatre Supplies in Birmingham are Prolight dealers so have access to the whole eLumen8 range and can get demo stocks for you - be worth giving them a call.

I have a couple of these, which I keep in my spares kit and have been considering them. Not had any problems, but not used them on anything really mission critical yet.

I was similarly skeptical about them (especially given how cheap they are). We started by using a pair to go ~5m with direct line of sight at an installation where there was no easy option to run a cable. Then I added a few to hire stock and began using them on non-mission critical items, battens uplighting in a gallery rather than the face light. Once I had a few trouble-free gigs I was happy enough to try them on the more crucial items, especially for smaller shows where time is at a premium.

They seem to be immune to interference under normal wi-fi conditions (even with a sizeable audience in a city centre location, with various in-house hotspots). What might be interesting is seeing how they perform when there's something like a Line6 radio mic system or voting response handsets using the space in a less conventional manner.

I was similarly skeptical about them (especially given how cheap they are). We started by using a pair to go ~5m with direct line of sight at an installation where there was no easy option to run a cable.

I've used them a couple of times for uplighters in odd corners of a room where there is local power but getting a DMX cable over to them would be awkward and also for stage package on a couple of freeby music gigs. I think I'll try them on my conference kits, but run cable for the first few as well just to be sure!

I haven't tried them in hostile Wi-Fi conditions, & don't own any Line-6 kit, but when I tested my ones they were rock-solid through several brick walls (the last one being lined with ladders & stands), over a distance of about 25 metres.

+1 for Selecon Acclaims as a go-to generic fresnel. Good price, well built, easy to maintain, look nice, perform well and reasonable weight.

ETC Colorsource are a good equivalent LED replacement for 600w/1kw generics. I've just replaced 14 Acclaims with 14 Colorsource (with fresnel adaptors), and found myself running at 75% or less on bright colours where I would have had the 600w fresnels at full power, open white.

I should be clear that the Colorsource are RGBA(might be RGBL?) devices as opposed to open white, if we are being pedantic about equivalents :)

Colorsource are the little (although not so little!) brother to the S4 LED and fit all the same barrels/fresnel bits as the S4 range and are quite a bit cheaper. Still a 'premium' product though.

Thought:

When will we start to refer to open white LED profile/fresnels as generics I wonder?

Thought:

When will we start to refer to open white LED profile/fresnels as generics I wonder?

I already do (sort of). My typical drawings include layers called "Generic", "LED Generics" and "RGB Generics", along with "Arc" & "LED" movers layers.

Now back to the question...

Archived