IEM for large group

samchurchill

Hi,

I've got a need for about 20 performers to have IEM, all on the same mix, in as cost effective way as possible. We've always used floor wedges in the past, but we'd really like to be able to give them some of the click and guide tracks. They will all be on a stage about 5m x 5m, so not much range needed.

I've been wondering about various technologies to do this in a cost effective way - has anyone got any ideas? I was thinking of one of those micro FM transmitters used in cars, but I'm not sure it'll have the range (please correct me if I'm wrong!). I also thought about using mobile phones as receivers with a laptop streaming over wifi, but I think there'd be too much latency.

Equipment we have that might be useful: Sennheiser ew100 transmitters for channels 38 and 70, induction loop amplifier (would prefer not to use this because it can play havoc with other systems).

Any advice or ideas gratefully received!

Sam

An FM transmitter should cover that size of stage without too much difficulty. I know a couple of churches that do simultaneous interpretation of services this way, and cover at least that kind of space.

It would probably help if you can mount the transmitter in a central point, so you effectively halve the max transmission distance. They are cheap enough to buy that it shouldn't be a big deal to run a trial during a rehearsal at some point?

Contact an interpretation company and ask about hiring some infra-red receivers. Their headsets may not be suitable, but they all use mini-jack connectors. You will also need a transmitter rack and head on a stand.

This is proven technology and although not high-fidelity I think it’s suitable for a click track.

Thanks for the replies everyone - http://store.silentdiscodirect.co.uk/silent-disco-headphones/belt-pack-receivers/20-wireless-belt-pack-receivers/ certainly looks interesting and I can see us perhaps using them for other reasons too. I know some silent disco kit uses ch70 (or perhaps just interferes with kit using it), so I'd need to at least be aware of that, but hopefully the reseller can help with the appropriate info.

Might run a range test with a cheap FM transmitter too.

I did think about infrared but I think it might prove problematic as it'd be reliant on line-of-sight and we'd want receivers relatively hidden.

Thanks again,

Sam

Does it have to be wireless ?

In this situation, yes, I think so. Another significant limitation is our setup and setdown time and I've previously found that doing wired IEM takes much more time than it really should! Also, as they're all on the same mix, having a local volume control for each person is very useful.

Thanks,

Sam

Archived