Pinouts for a 4 pin XLR

ccarmock

I have a 35mm portable film projector, which I am about to upgrade with a stereo optical cell for sound.

While this is a three wire device - ie common and then L & R audio, I think I need a balanced feed from it to the pre-amp.

In it's current mono config it uses a standard 3 pin XLR connector. When I convert to stereo I planned to swap this for a 4 pin XLR to give me full L& R balanced audio feeds.

While I can find plenty of references to standard pinouts for a 3 pin XLR I can't find any for a 4 pin XLR. I wonder if anyone can direct me at this information?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Clive

Dunno about a standard as such, but I'd put screens on pin 1, then alternate hot/cold/hot/cold.

That way if, heaven forbid, someone grabbed a DMX cable instead of yours, the screen would be in the right place, and if it was a 'half' DMX cable (i.e. only one twisted pair not 2) then you only get one channel of audio. And if someone grabs your cable, it would possibly just work for DMX.

David

Interesting. I've never realy thought before, but WHY isn't there a stereo/two channel standard pin standard. OK - most people just use two 3 pins, but with XLR's going up to 7 pins, there has been scope for a proper standard for years. I quite like the idea of 5pins, as they'd obviously still work with other kit wired 1,2,3.

The only small thing (snag, if you like) is the cable. Neutrik style cable clamps don't work that well on fig-8 style - is there a stereo cable with a circular sheath?

There is a LV Power use for xlr4 for some rapid charge battery packs, also xlr4 is used on some scrollers with LV power. - Maybe better to keep away from that. Xlr3 is commonly available, xlr5 less common but available, xlr4/6/7 very much rarer.

I've used star-quad in the past.

Doesn't that give problems with cross-talk?

With stereo, crosstalk isn't much of a problem. For a realistic stereo effect you only need around 20-30dB of isolation, signals hard panned left and right just don't sound right; it's not how we hear. If your input stage can't manage that sort of crosstalk isolation then there is a problem.

If the two signal were completely different then it may be a problem but then it wouldn't be stereo.

Archived