spring loaded paintball gun use in theatre

Bronson

Probably worth noting that a person cannot give permission for another to cause Actual Bodily Harm. If somebody says it's OK to shoot them and cause weals, you'd have a real problem saying that no harm had been caused. Clearly in paintball the organisers ensure the safety protection is worn. Shooting a naked person with permission could easily get you arrested. Regina vs Brown 1993. It's a test case loved by those who love gory details. As I had it explained to me, even if nobody in the company complained somebody else could - so the person doing the shooting puts themselves in a tricky position.

Use makeup to cover a "blood" pack.

Even if the audience is within two feet, hiding that kind of thing is really trivial.

Could use micropore tape over a simple blood pack, or make a silicone piece that contains the goop and is moulded precisely to their body.

Seriously. Don't shoot anything. It's obviously unnecessary and completely impossible to justify.

The JT Splatmaster is apparently spring-loaded and 'low impact'. I won't comment on the wisdom or otherwise of firing any of these weapons at an unprotected torso. It seems to me to need no comment, but people regularly put themselves in harm's way in the pursuit of their own entertainment or that of others.

people regularly put themselves in harm's way in the pursuit of their own entertainment or that of others.

Not the point. The Arkaos naked chainsaw jugglers took their own risks. R v Brown went as far as the Lords in 1994 and the end result was that no matter how consensual the harm, the person inflicting the harm was negating their duty of care and therefore culpable in law.

The performer can put himself at as much risk as he likes, the assistant cannot assist him to that position. I could not prevent the Jolly's doing their fire-breathing/juggling act on a stage of straw bales but it was my duty to reduce risk as far as practicably possible.

people regularly put themselves in harm's way in the pursuit of their own entertainment or that of others.

Not the point. The Arkaos naked chainsaw jugglers took their own risks. R v Brown went as far as the Lords in 1994 and the end result was that no matter how consensual the harm, the person inflicting the harm was negating their duty of care and therefore culpable in law.

The performer can put himself at as much risk as he likes, the assistant cannot assist him to that position. I could not prevent the Jolly's doing their fire-breathing/juggling act on a stage of straw bales but it was my duty to reduce risk as far as practicably possible.

I think you miss my point that I think it is a blood y stupid thing to do. I must try to express myself more clearly in future.

The JT Splatmaster is apparently spring-loaded and 'low impact'. I won't comment on the wisdom or otherwise of firing any of these weapons at an unprotected torso. It seems to me to need no comment, but people regularly put themselves in harm's way in the pursuit of their own entertainment or that of others.

Archived