Letter to burst into flames or explode or flash on stage

ojc123

We're doing Baron Bolligrew. The script calls for a letter from the dragon which burns with "a magnesium flash and smoke rises". My first thought is to do something different and avoid any flames at all. On the other hand it would be nice if we could do it safely. I'm currently at a very early stage with this so I can direct around the requirements of doing this safely, if it's possible.

Have any of you any ideas how I could go about this safely with a cast of relatively sensible 14 year olds?

Reminder, my first thought is not to do it at all so we've already established that is the most sensible proposition.

I'm exploring my options. Thanks in advance.

Forget combining smoke and fire, that’s over complicated; chose one effect or another and you have something’s very achievable.

Flash paper is relatively inexpensive and surprisingly “safe” from a performance point of view - it will ignite gas / petrol fumes but otherwise it’s surprisingly hard to start a fire with flash paper. Your issues will actually be with storage and preparation - I’d have no problems with a 14 yr old infighting flash paper but an adult needs to be storing it right up to the moment it goes on stage and supervising the drying out process and general prep work.

You can get additives that change the flame colour, produce smoke etc but don’t bother as the effect is minimal but the complications are massive.

Alternatively get a cheep e-cig (one that looks like an actual cig) with a nicotine free fluid inside, attach a rubber bulb to the “glowing” end of it and you’ve invented a small and surprisingly powerful smoke machine. This can be hidden up a sleeve and when the bulb is pressed a good burst of smoke appears which with a little choreography can seem to come out of a piece of paper held in the hand which has the e-cig / bulb up its sleeve

Flash paper does sound like the ideal material for the effect. Always new, fresh, dry flash paper for fastest and safest combustion.

If the effect is done properly with all involved being suitably trained and made aware of the hazards, then I think it's acceptable for 14yo performers to do.

One caveat, as it is a LETTER that is required to ignite, you may need to write on the flash paper in order that it looks like a letter and not a piece of plain paper. Do this by hand and NOT by passing flash paper through a printer.

I know someone who passed flash paper through a laser printer, it flashed inside the printer. No serious fire resulted but the printer was a write off. Laser printers use a high power lamp that gets very hot. An inkjet printer is probably OK, but I would avoid just in case.

Also note that flash paper is usually a very thin, tissue paper like consistency - not the kind of paper that letters would normally be written on. Thicker varieties, sometimes called fire paper, might be better for this application although they do burn a little bit slower than the thinner stock.

I know someone who passed flash paper through a laser printer, it flashed inside the printer.

Oh that sounds like fun!!

Calling Big Clive :D

Disclaimer: Actually no, it won't be fun. Don't even consider trying it.

I'm thinking of an envelope with a BIG red seal (as a cover for the battery and switch) tucking the flap under the seal (to isolate the firing cct til the letter is opened) Write a letter on the drying flash paper -on the outside and backwards just before curtain up. OR do a bold graphic as in headed paper and a few typescript like squiggles.

Oh that sounds like fun!!

Calling Big Clive :D

Disclaimer: Actually no, it won't be fun. Don't even consider trying it.

The moral of the story here is to always have someone filming when you're about to do something dubious.

Knowing my luck it would print without bursting into flames.

Although this is supposed to be a letter, I doubt the audience is going to be close enough to see text. So a plain sheet from an envelope or just saying that it's a letter will sell it to the audience. For ignition the magicians seem to use a battery operated heating device or a flint striker.

I've just realised that they sell flash paper from China on eBay. That's intriguing. I wonder if it will get detected in the post, being a nitrated product.

Chinese flash paper seller.

The Chinese really do sell everything and just post it out. BUT I've known stuff get stopped at the UK border and people get asked heavy questions about "Importing Explosives" by post/air. They send it, YOU carry the can when it get's caught. The recipient becomes the "illegal importer".

I've just realised that they sell flash paper from China on eBay. That's intriguing. I wonder if it will get detected in the post, being a nitrated product.

it's fairly commonly posted within Europe so will probably go undetected. Frankly I'm more interested in how it survives the chinese sales process - flash-paper looses its potency from the moment it is manufactured and generally I only use it sourced from a trusted manufacturer who have regular manufacturing runs so I know that it's only ever a couple of weeks old. Since it's coming from a generic chinese sales company then it's probably sitting on warehouse shelves for weeks, then with the estimated 4-6 week shipping time it would be virtually at the end of it's shelf life by the time you received it.

Please tell me there's a bigclive video being planned now testing flash paper from china, europe and british manufacturers?

Archived