Stained glass windows

Hi all,

I'm looking to construct 4 x stained glass windows, about 2m high x 1.2m, wide for an upcoming performance of Sister Act. I'd like to fly them in front of our black cloth legs, from the same bar, but try to light them somehow. I was thinking of using some painted gauze or similar stretched over a frame and then use LED tape around the inside. If possible, I'd like to be able to patch the light source in to our dimmer too.

Does anyone have any other ideas/experience/tips etc please?

Many thanks in advance.

Clear perspex/PVC/ acrylic/polycarbonate sheet and LED edge light the sheet to show up the colours etc.

I would make a 6" deep white painted lightbox behind the window and put the LED tape round the edge of it. Edge lighting acrylic only works well when you can see the other edge, or if you engrave patterns/grooves in the surface of it.

For DMX control of LED tape use something like this (many similar options available)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182321874268

don't get it involved with the dimmers as it's very hard to make it work properly.

Tim,

Is there a particular LED tape you'd recommend to go with this controller? Interested in having a play myself now, so if I can pick up a few bits from eBay... Searching with "LED 5050 RGB" brings up quite a lot of potential junk!

Thanks,

Kevin

Tim,

Is there a particular LED tape you'd recommend to go with this controller? Interested in having a play myself now, so if I can pick up a few bits from eBay... Searching with "LED 5050 RGB" brings up quite a lot of potential junk!

Thanks,

Kevin

Do you want RGB or just white? You can get white 5050 which has 3 whites in each LED

Ooooo RGB http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif but if you've also got an all--white recomendation too! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

When you say "all white" is that the same colour temp, or three die with different colour temp?

Thanks!

Kevin

Thanks Tim! Hope that helps the OP too...

I might look to see if "uncle" bigclive has any videos on the subject!

ETA: Giving some of this a go...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-Super-Bright-12V-5050-SMD-300-Leds-Flexible-Strip-RGB-Home-Decoration-Light/192259457657?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It's not clear-plastic enclosed so not for external use. Let's see..

Thanks Tim! Hope that helps the OP too...

I might look to see if "uncle" bigclive has any videos on the subject!

I've covered LED tape in a few videos, but not recently. The generic LED tape sold on eBay is a bit variable in quality, but of you don't buy the rock-bottom cheapest it's usually pretty serviceable. The price is so low now that I regard it as a consumable and recommend that any installation using it considers the ease of swapping it out for new stuff if needed.

There's a huge range of LED styles available from small low current chips to the larger high current single chips and the 5050 three chip LEDs mentioned. For indoor use I recommend the non waterproof version as it sticks to surfaces better than the stiff waterproof version.

There's a new kid on the block in the form of the 230V LED strip. It works the same way as the traditional Xmas ropelight material, but has a flat PCB strip inside. The downside is that it is just a rectifier feeding a multiple of series strings of LEDs and resistors, so there can be a slight flicker if you look for it. The upside is that it can be dimmed if there is a packer load on the circuit for the dimmer.

I have found that the waterproof coating goes milky/opaque over time and you lose light output. Plus, it's not actually waterproof as there are exposed pads on the rear of the strip which corrode if they get wet. And as Clive says it's quite stiff. So I'd avoid the waterproof version. You can peel off the waterproofing with a bit of care.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Hadn’t considered acrylic due to small budget but its sounding like the best option right now!

Tim - are the DMX controllers fairly straight forward to wire up?

Archived