4 x DMX cat5

jason5d

If it's just using standard CAT5 cable with four twisted pairs then how is it giving continuity of the ground connection? Is it using some sort of baluns system? I'm not even sure that would work with data. Or are they just ditching the ground on each channel.

They’re assuming you’re using screened cat5, and running the ground down the screen. No baluns or anything like that. There’s a wiring diagram further down the page...

ssdmx3_fx4_3ftj_wiring.jpg

There’s also a cheaper version in a box, no flying leads, which is in stock...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_rj45_dmx_split_box_fx4.htm

4 xlr not 5. The annoying thing about that one is that it does not make clear on the website that you need shielded cat 5 cable (it is mentioned in the instructions).

The trouble is that DMX will work without the ground, but it will be unpredictable and unreliable. So if you don't read the instructions properly you could set it up with UTP cable then the whole thing will randomly stop working during the event.

The 3-xlr version they do is a much better idea because you can use UTP or STP.

4 xlr not 5. The annoying thing about that one is that it does not make clear on the website that you need shielded cat 5 cable (it is mentioned in the instructions).

I was referring to the connector rather than how many of them there are. (As in 5XLR connectors rather than 4 x XLR.) Apologies, maybe I should've been clearer. The Starville one is only 3XLR connectors rather than the usual 5XLR for DMX.

I was referring to the connector rather than how many of them there are. (As in 5XLR connectors rather than 4 x XLR.) Apologies, maybe I should've been clearer. The Starville one is only 3XLR connectors rather than the usual 5XLR for DMX.

Ah sorry I misunderstood... the convention I have seen for pin numbers is to put them at the end, e.g. a 5 pin XLR would be shown as XLR5.

Clive, generally they use the ground on an STP cable as a common ground across all 4 channels

Ah, that would work. I wonder how many people will use it with cheap UTP though.

It also somewhat rules out running it via infrastructure..... :(

If you had a 4 way adapter at each end and wanted to run via UTP cable you could, as a bodge, plug a shorting connector in each end of one of the ways (pins 1 short to 2 and/or 3). This would give you a ground reference for the 3 other ways.

Archived