Connector Strand Harmony

Roderick

Superhot C15A IEC.

Schurter part 4310.0003 (female line connector) or 4310.0010 for Right Angle.

The Apsa equivalents are 1048/SW (straight) 1048/WS (straight in white) and 1148/SW (right angle) though I found the 1148 to be flimsy

Superhot C15A IEC.

Schurter part 4310.0003 (female line connector) or 4310.0010 for Right Angle.

The Apsa equivalents are 1048/SW (straight) 1048/WS (straight in white) and 1148/SW (right angle) though I found the 1148 to be flimsy

RS in the UK stock them, so probably RS in Australia does.

I picked up Prelude F a while back which has had the Strand connector replaced with an iec one. There doesn't seem to be an overheating problem. Does anybody else have experience of this? I know that Harmonys might run a little hotter being 1kW.

I picked up Prelude F a while back which has had the Strand connector replaced with an iec one. There doesn't seem to be an overheating problem. Does anybody else have experience of this? I know that Harmonys might run a little hotter being 1kW.

Yes a couple of my second hand Prelude 22/40s have IEC inlets that had obviously been added somewhere since purchase, not a problem as Kettle style IEC (HOT IEC) fit into IEC, just not the other way round...

Edward

Yes a couple of my second hand Prelude 22/40s have IEC inlets that had obviously been added somewhere since purchase, not a problem as Kettle style IEC (HOT IEC) fit into IEC, just not the other way round...

Edward

Could be a problem though - the "hot" connector is designed to be used on things that get hot - it uses a different kind of plastic so it doesn't melt. It has the notch in it so that you can't plug in a normal IEC cable which might also melt.

The back of the fixture does get hot.

Either Strand used this connector to force you to buy their spares, or they really thought it needed that temperature rating... what do you think?

Edward

Could be a problem though - the "hot" connector is designed to be used on things that get hot - it uses a different kind of plastic so it doesn't melt. It has the notch in it so that you can't plug in a normal IEC cable which might also melt.

The back of the fixture does get hot.

Either Strand used this connector to force you to buy their spares, or they really thought it needed that temperature rating... what do you think?

Hmm interesting, on the Prelude range as they are 650w and inlet mounted on the bottom of the fixture it probably doesn't exceed the heat limit of a standard IEC, however on Harmonys being almost twice the power the different type plastic connector is probably necessary.

Maybe Strand decided to keep all their fixtures with the same connector for compatibility of cables etc.

Edward

Strand & CCT used different styles of IEC inlets. IIRC CCT, who made their lanterns from kits of parts, used "standard" connectors (as listed by 10outor10), but Strand, being Strand, used their own design, in which case you may need to do a bit of metal-bashing to make it fit (always assuming that you have a piece of paper to say that you've done the 2-day Makita, file & hacksaw course & ticked at least half the boxes).

E2A: if you need to use Araldite, don'tuse the "rapid" stuff - it's only rated to 65C, & the back-end of a 1kW pointing down gets a lot hotter than that (hence the use of "hot-condition" connectors). Personally I wouldn't dream of using a standard plastic IEC on a halogen lantern, of any wattage (or anything else I couldn't rest my finger on).

These ones from CPC are the ones you want. I've been using them for the past few years with no adverse effects. The page in the catalogue even says they're good for up to 155'C, and says 'Ideal for use with professional stage lighting. e.g. Strand Theatre Profiles'. £3.80 each for less than 10.

The only thing I'd say about them is the screw that holds them together doesn't do a great job, so I have started popping a bit of superglue round the edge furthest from the lantern (i.e. the back of the socket) to help hold them closed.

Ian

Archived