Speaker Poles Rubber Collars

Doug Siddons

After an interesting yet unproductive morning of googling "Rubber Collars", does anyone know where to get the rubber collars found on top of speaker poles which keeps the speaker upright.?

Or suitable solution which doesn,t involve beer mats!

I've never had that problem. I'd perhaps suggest you have the wrong sizes poles. Speakers would normally take a 35mm poles.

That said I have seen some poles with sizing adaptors, but that was from 25mm, and they would be very floppy without!

I've never had that problem. I'd perhaps suggest you have the wrong sizes poles. Speakers would normally take a 35mm poles.

Yes, what exactly is the problem? Most speakers/stands are 35mm, some speakers come with smaller holes, and there were corresponding stands with narrower (25 or 28mm poles). Is this the situation you have?

If so, while there are solutions like this that allow 35mm poles to be used in speakers with narrower holes, I've never come across any adapters that to the other way. Even then, these adapters are so expensive that you're probably better off simply replacing your existing stands.

Or is it another problem entirely?

I had some 32mm lighting stands at a previous job that I wanted to use for speakers. They were a bit wobbly as is, so I bought two of these, which have enough screw thread to accommodate slightly undersized poles and also allow you to set an angle - which is one of the great downfalls of stand mounted speakers without yokes.

Ah it seems I'm the only one who suffers this ! Right when you buy a pair of adjustable speaker poles from a reputable supplier,they normally come with rubber collars on the top and bottom of the pole which if you slide them down to the bottom/top of the pole and then mount the cabinet it makes a better fit. This is what I'm on about.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t179/butcombe/Strat%20wiring%20mod/IMG_0111_zpshjfa2jiu.jpg

I've never seen anything like this before, it's just asking to get lost! When you say adjustable, do you mean height or thickness? As the issue here looks to be the pole, is it a 35mm pole on the thick part and something else on the top?

What speakers are you using, we might then be able to rule out a funny size hole on the speaker.

When you say reputable stand supplier who is it? in all honesty and not meaning to sound a brand snob, the stands from what I can see look to be cheap unbranded efforts where the manufacturer has tried to add value by fixing an issue which didn't need fixing and actually introduced an issue by making parts which get lost. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think you'd have any issues with a set of K&M stands.

If you look at it another way, could you just chop off the end so you have just the thick part of the pole?

I've never seen anything like this before, it's just asking to get lost! When you say adjustable, do you mean height or thickness? As the issue here looks to be the pole, is it a 35mm pole on the thick part and something else on the top?

What speakers are you using, we might then be able to rule out a funny size hole on the speaker.

When you say reputable stand supplier who is it? in all honesty and not meaning to sound a brand snob, the stands from what I can see look to be cheap unbranded efforts where the manufacturer has tried to add value by fixing an issue which didn't need fixing and actually introduced an issue by making parts which get lost. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think you'd have any issues with a set of K&M stands.

If you look at it another way, could you just chop off the end so you have just the thick part of the pole?

Thanks for the wind up Pete the bit I'm after is K&M part number 85890 Levelling adaptor https://produkte.k-m...k-(unit:-2-pcs.)

I stand corrected if you pardon the pun!

If I'd have received those with my nice shiny new K&M's I probably would have sent them back, unless I really needed 2 different sizes. The ones I have are a nice snug fit on a 35mm pole.

I had some 32mm lighting stands at a previous job that I wanted to use for speakers. They were a bit wobbly as is, so I bought two of these, which have enough screw thread to accommodate slightly undersized poles and also allow you to set an angle - which is one of the great downfalls of stand mounted speakers without yokes.

Ah yes that old chestnut...

All my speaker stands and fittings are the standard 35mm, a friend/competitor has standardised on 32mm as his origin is lighting.

The first time we realised the difference was when we tried to mount his speakers on some of my home made adapters, of course it was a situation where we were short of time.

CPC also sell these...same part number. they are also on their cheap poles which are £7 each.

they don't usually wander off as they are a snug fit for the poles.

for those that don't recognise the problem it's probably because the kit you are working on is nice or not worn...I have a pair of hk subs that don't see much service and some adllib tops that don't see any service. all the boxes are worn and when they used to go out together although everything was 35mm they leaned slightly and pushing the rubber in the gap when using cheap poles helped some...though it didn't completely cure the problem. fairly common to come across but if your poles are threaded or made by your box manufacturer you may not have seen them.

k&m make up some rather expensive poles with adjustable collars to tighten up into the gap. not sure how effective they are though.

k&m make up some rather expensive poles with adjustable collars to tighten up into the gap. not sure how effective they are though.

They're really good but, as you say, there is a cost attached.

CPC also sell these...same part number. they are also on their cheap poles which are £7 each.

they don't usually wander off as they are a snug fit for the poles.

for those that don't recognise the problem it's probably because the kit you are working on is nice or not worn...I have a pair of hk subs that don't see much service and some adllib tops that don't see any service. all the boxes are worn and when they used to go out together although everything was 35mm they leaned slightly and pushing the rubber in the gap when using cheap poles helped some...though it didn't completely cure the problem. fairly common to come across but if your poles are threaded or made by your box manufacturer you may not have seen them.

AHhhhh.

Now that I see an image of the product involved I realise how much I need them, for a long time I have been slapping tape round the poles which needs sorting out whenever I'm in a hurry.

CPC currently show them as out of stock until September. but Thomann are only 8p dearer.

Archived