Auto-Volume type function on sound desk

SA90

2 horns on sticks, 30W or 60W TOA, hand-held, lead for the inevitable iPhone & a charged car battery - job done.

Dragged to 2 primary school ones earlier in the week, where the "PA" was an el-cheapo loudhailer - definite underkill, though did the job.

Must be an unusual school sports day if you're messing about with mixer desks etc.

the times they are a-changing. As we grow we are starting to see quite a bit of community work, schools etc and particularly in the private sector seem to have pockets deeper than you would think and a quite eleborate requirements.

Rather than a compressor, I'd be using a gate for this. Set it up exactly as above by feeding the mic to the sidechain input of the gate and then play with your range, hold and release controls so you get a gentle lowering of the music with a gentle fade back rather than a sudden change each time.

I have had much better results over the years using a compressor to duck music rather than an actual ducker.

Mac

Why is that?

A ducker is the right tool as it doesn't follow the sidechain signal other than to switch it in and out. A compressor however will duck music more when someone speaks louder and less when they speak softer. Kinda the opposite of what you want. I don't see how a compressor would work well, but I'm curious to know how you're applying it.

Like wise I have had better results using a compressor rather than duckers built in to budget style 1u mixers, the type with 2-3 stereo inputs and a couple of mic inputs.

With a compressor I have full control over speed and amount and threshold but with the built in duckers I find it hit and miss if the thing will either cut in with every sound or not cut in fast enough. Always had the issue on a few different mixers, might just be something I'm doing wrong, but it works a treat with a compressor.

I think it's just about safe to say in analogue world, compressors are the standard way of doing it.

Like wise I have had better results using a compressor rather than duckers built in to budget style 1u mixers, the type with 2-3 stereo inputs and a couple of mic inputs.

With a compressor I have full control over speed and amount and threshold but with the built in duckers I find it hit and miss if the thing will either cut in with every sound or not cut in fast enough. Always had the issue on a few different mixers, might just be something I'm doing wrong, but it works a treat with a compressor.

I think it's just about safe to say in analogue world, compressors are the standard way of doing it.

Then I will ask you as well. How do YOU do this exactly, because I would think that using a compressor wouldn't work well at all.

If you want a ducker to work best and not false-trigger, make sure you use it the same way you would with a gate, by filtering the key to the loudest part of the key signal. In this case filter the key (sidechain) to only the voice range, and just a small part of that, like 1k - 3k.

Then I will ask you as well. How do YOU do this exactly, because I would think that using a compressor wouldn't work well at all.

If you want a ducker to work best and not false-trigger, make sure you use it the same way you would with a gate, by filtering the key to the loudest part of the key signal. In this case filter the key (sidechain) to only the voice range, and just a small part of that, like 1k - 3k.

A compressor does this job admirably well, as long as it has proper side chain inputs - they are not all the same, I have always done it this way, if required, when using a bigger system.

I do several school sports days every year and to date they have always been a basic PA amplifier without any frills, indeed not even a radio mic as I know it would not be there when I de-rig. Only one of them requires music for which I supply a 3.5mm jack lead for their own cd walkman.

So I keep asking to those of you that are using compressors instead of duckers (and nobody's answering), specifically how are you using a compressor as a ducker, as I don't see that it would work well at all.

Wow, agressive on your point, aren't you, "Mr X" ? Guess you know best, right?

If that's how it's coming across, my apologies.

These responses have gotten me very curious as to what I'm missing in understanding how other people do things, that's all.

Wow, agressive on your point, aren't you, "Mr X" ? Guess you know best, right?

If that's how it's coming across, my apologies.

These responses have gotten me very curious as to what I'm missing in understanding how other people do things, that's all.

You run it the same way you would with a ducker. Audio you want ducked through the compressor, audio you want to key the ducking in the key input, threshold set to get the amount of ducking you want. There used to be comps in every rack out there, not always duckers. Now everything is in a digital console and I still find the comp easier to get to sound good.

Mac

You run it the same way you would with a ducker. Audio you want ducked through the compressor, audio you want to key the ducking in the key input, threshold set to get the amount of ducking you want. There used to be comps in every rack out there, not always duckers. Now everything is in a digital console and I still find the comp easier to get to sound good.

Thanks, Mac. What ratio?

You don't find the music ducking further as the person speaks louder odd-sounding?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Since this thread started I have done 4 School Sports Days, 3 of which are installed but unmanned by me. 120W Toa amp selection of horn speakers and Mic plugged into input 1 [auto ducking] 2 car batteries. One had a phone plugged in for music, don't know about the other 2. One of the jobs is just across the road from me and the field is used by 3 schools, the day after my system another school used a 2KW cabinet system. I still don't get the requirement for more complex systems for such an event.

Archived