Strand 250ML

taylord

I've not used one in "real life" but with the help blue roomers I've managed to find my way round the Zero 88 FLX emulator, and it does look, on the surface, quite attractive.

We can easily arrange a demo if that's helpful, just let me know

We can easily arrange a demo if that's helpful, just let me know

For me, I'm not in the market, as we have an Ion at our theatre that we have no intention of replacing any time soon, but I will possibly be looking at one of the training days in the (fairly) near future as I'll have to use an FLX at Minack this July.

I'd strongly recommend the OP to try the desk hands on, though.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. We have 24 dimmer channel with a mix of Strand Fresnels, Profiles and Cycs. I would like to add in another line of DMX so that I can start to build up a collection of LED's & movers.

Yes, the educational package is attractive. I think the upgrade to increase the channel count is priced at full commercial rates, though.

Yes, absolutely, the upgrades to higher DMX address counts for ETCnomad come at full price but the package comes with 512 DMX addresses.

Those addresses can be spread out over either or both universes any way you wish until you hit a total of 512. The OP will have to have quite a few movers, led's etc before they need all 512 addresses.

We're running 96 dimmers, 10 VariLite VL1100's (at 27 DMX addresses each), 4 x Martin MAC TW1's, a dozen ColorBlast 12 TR LED Wash Lights, 5 x LED PAR's, etc. and we didn't pass 512 until we added in 6 x Martin Atomic 3000 strobes and 5 x Elation Platinum Beam 5R's.

So 512 DMX addresses is likely fine for their purposes.

Another plus with the ETCnomad software is that, for any keeners, the software is a free download and can be installed on any PC or Mac. While you need to have the dongle key and Gadget to actually run a show, any editing of cues (while not actually controlling the rig) or editing of any other part of a show, or creating new cues or entire shows, whatever, can be done on any computer, anywhere. The show file just has to be loaded to the machine that will be running the show. So any student can work up anything he/she wants at home, etc. in advance and then bring it in to see it onstage. And there is a good forum and also a Facebook group for anyone running the software. And all future upgrades to the software are free, and so on...

Anyone got any comments on the strand 250ML? Looking to upgrade from a Strand 200 24/48 to something with 2 x DMX universes and that the kids in school (and me) will find easy to get to grips with

If you are familiar with the 200, then the 250ML will also be familiar. Drive a hard bargain with the supplier as they are not selling well and you might get a good deal. I won't rehash the bad press it has received here and elsewhere, but I was in the market last year for a budget desk and bought a 250ML which I find useful for small one-night shows, once you get your head around its little oddities. A good busking desk and good for LEDs, particularly if you use the same ones all the time and can have a default showfile ready to go. The main drawback is the lack of keyboard and the miserable filing system, but again, once you get around it, it can run a show as well as any desk. Even though the name suggests it is good for moving lights, I think it would struggle a little to get the sophistication of the likes of the Ion/Eos/Nomad, which I regard as the industry standard. I too remember back to the Junior 8 days and the glory days of Strand, and agree that they are far from the company they used to be. However, I have had no problem getting technical support for any of the issues I had when setting up the desk, initially through the dealer (Stage Lighting Centre in Dublin) and then through the Strand support network, I got full satisfaction for any query I had.

If you are looking elsewhere and if you need an all in one package, you will find it hard to beat the Zero 88 FLX. I have not used it on a show, but I have seen a few demos and have put it through its paces in the showroom and if I could afford it, I would be tempted. If you are prepared to have a number of devices and work from a laptop, the Nomad is the one I would recommend. Depending on budget, you can begin by just getting the licence for whatever number of addresses you will need along with a gadget to output to DMX. From there you can add and LXkey keyboard, touch screen, and even a fader wing, which will give you the same functionality as the full Ion desk which is much more expensive. The advantage is that this arrangement is much closer to anything anyone can expect to see in other houses, but may not travel too well.

Good luck with the decision.

Denis

we've got a 250ML in our hire stock - it's not as fancy as other desks with moving light control but has proven to be a reliable desk for the types of show we put it out on - i.e. small theatre style events which are using predominantly conventional or static LED pars and the like.

We had it at the edinburgh fringe last year where it was used by a few dozen different people and we had no complaints at all - everyone seemed to pick up the operation very quickly - but that was a venue with 24channels of dimming and a dozen LED pars which is where I'd say it's well suited to.

If you're using significant numbers of movers then you may start to struggle with the desk as programming that can be a bit slow

Archived