Strand 250ML

taylord

Anyone got any comments on the strand 250ML? Looking to upgrade from a Strand 200 24/48 to something with 2 x DMX universes and that the kids in school (and me) will find easy to get to grips with

Not got anything to offer specifically regarding the Strand console. Just a point to make, however - if the student users of the console are likely to want the sort of experience that they can take away and use in situations beyond the school (further education or a career in tech theatre, perhaps) it might be worth looking at something from a manufacturer that they're more likely to encounter in the world outside. Strand have really lost their foothold in the market in recent years, so something like an ETC Colorsource console might be worth considering as an alternative.

Just thought I'd throw that out there! But the best way to determine the best control desk for your needs, whether it's Strand, ETC or something else, is to get some hands-on time with the various options and see what works for you. Speak to your local dealer regarding demos. Edit to add : your profile says you're on the Wirral - best point of contact would probably be Rob Beamer from Stage Electrics. Shout if you want his number.

Anyone got any comments on the strand 250ML?

A good friend bought one, hated it and sold it within 6 months at a substantial loss.

Look instead at ETC's Smartfade or Coloursource ranges.

As has already been mentioned, Strand isn't a popular console platform anymore.

It may be worth having a look at the Zero88 Solution...

http://zero88.com/pr...ion/index.shtml

Very powerful console with 4 universe functionality and very easy to get to grips with. What's more with the latest software the console runs with a similar programming method as other common industry standard consoles.

Zero88 FLX is another option...

http://zero88.com/pr...flx/index.shtml

Award winning console with 2 universes out, upgradable to 8 universes over ArtNet/sACN.

Alternatively there is a Zero88 FROG2 on eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.u...ZcAAOSw~AVYsy92

This console runs the same software as Solution and FLX, and has 4 universe outputs.

Hope that helps

Edward

Thanks folks. I'm more familiar with the Zero 88 ranges but will certainly look towards the ETC products too. I need 2 x DMX out with the way our school hall lighting system is setup. To run intelligent fixtures then I'm going to have to install a 2nd line of DMX.

We used to have NStage as our contractor but facility management decided to change companies so I'll definitely give Rob at a Stage Electeics a shout.

if the student users of the console are likely to want the sort of experience that they can take away and use in situations beyond the school (further education or a career in tech theatre, perhaps) ... something like an ETC Colorsource console might be worth considering as an alternative [to the Strand 250ML]

Gareth, what about the ETC ColourSource compared to the Strand 250ML would you say makes it a more suitable console to gain "real world" experience?

Not saying I disagree, as I don't know either console inside out, I'm just interested :-)

(just to ensure it's obvious, even if it's not relevant, I work for a competitor of both of the companies mentioned)

National Stage would be good ones to talk to, as well - any particular reason why they're no longer in favour with your management?

I believe that when contract was out for tender then there was a cheaper company. I was a little miffed to put it politely.

if the student users of the console are likely to want the sort of experience that they can take away and use in situations beyond the school (further education or a career in tech theatre, perhaps) ... something like an ETC Colorsource console might be worth considering as an alternative [to the Strand 250ML]

Gareth, what about the ETC ColourSource compared to the Strand 250ML would you say makes it a more suitable console to gain "real world" experience?

Not saying I disagree, as I don't know either console inside out, I'm just interested :-)

(just to ensure it's obvious, even if it's not relevant, I work for a competitor of both of the companies mentioned)

I guess it's about more than just the experience of using one particular console in isolation. I'm an Eos guy at heart, and don't know a vast amount about Colorsource, but there's definitely some common threads in terms of the thinking behind the basic operational philosophy of the different ETC consoles. The point being, I guess, that there's some value in considering how easy it might be for a novice user to move from a smaller ETC console to a larger one (Element, say),than it might be to come at it from a completely unrelated console. I suppose it may have sounded as though I was overstating the case in my original response! I'm in no way suggesting that one could jump straight from a Colorsource to an Element (for example) and dive straight in without any period of adjustment ; nor that one would really struggle going from a 250ML onto an Element. But any common strand (no pun intended) connecting origin and destination has to be a good thing.

It should be borne in mind, of course, that one thing which might be influencing my line of thought is that (trade-show demos aside) I haven't touched any of the new generation of Strand consoles since the 500-series fell off its throne and lost its place as king of the UK theatre market. But that's because, in a complete about-face from a decade ago, it's almost unheard of these days to find a Strand console "in the wild" in any UK professional theatre. That says a lot.

I believe that when contract was out for tender then there was a cheaper company. I was a little miffed to put it politely.

Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean better! But it sounds as though you're only too aware of that ;-)

Anyone got any comments on the strand 250ML? Looking to upgrade from a Strand 200 24/48 to something with 2 x DMX universes and that the kids in school (and me) will find easy to get to grips with

Avoid like the plague. It's a horroshow, not well thought out and full of bugs which Strand know about and have done nothing to address: they've effectively abandoned it, there have been no significant updates for the best part of two years. T be honest, I'm slightly surprised that they are still selling it, given how poor it is. The shame is that at heart, it has real potential, but they quickly lost interest as they brought out new desks.

If you remain to be convinced, check out Strand's online forum, where the full trail of Strand's woeful ineptitude and mendacity is laid bare - http://www.strand-dev.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=35a29e07a61cf7e7bedd838d487eaf89

I don't mind the colorsource but it doesn't bare much resemblance to any other etc consoles as it's on its own codebase - also worth noting that it doesn't really control anything that moves in a nice way (just the colours) - Jester ML is OK but can be a little convoluted - all depends on the budget really! I did see a nice Jands thing but can't remember what it was called

Stage CL is really easy to use - I picked it up in minutes. If all you have is a few LED colours to control, no movers, and a few generics it's got to be a strong contender.

In relation to the OP, though, I think it's too limited. The requirement for 2 universes for a start.

I've not used one in "real life" but with the help blue roomers I've managed to find my way round the Zero 88 FLX emulator, and it does look, on the surface, quite attractive.

Would a nomad or PC based solution like the ETC gadget+laptop work, or is a control surface essential? Adding a control surface does push up the cost somewhat, of course. Definitely try before you buy, though.

Would a nomad or PC based solution like the ETC gadget+laptop work, or is a control surface essential? Adding a control surface does push up the cost somewhat, of course. Definitely try before you buy, though.

If the laptop solution is a option, ETC has special pricing for students and/or educators for the ETCnomad Student Package which includes a 512 ETCnomad lighting controller key and a Gadget II 2-universe USB to DMX/RDM interface

The USB key plugs into a computer, turning it into a flexible controller that runs both ETC Cobalt® and Eos®-family software (either in full EOS or EOS Element versions); and the Gadget connects the computer to your lighting system’s DMX/RDM devices.

The recommended retail price for the ETCnomad Student Package is $250/250,00 € / £215 (+ tax), which is the usual retail price of a Gadget. Of course you still need a laptop or desktop computer.

More info here: https://www.etcconnect.com/Student-Package/

Archived