XSW PSU for multiple receivers

CodeAV

Does anyone know if you can buy a PSU that will power several Sennehsier XSW receivers, trying to fit 8 in a rack - which is fine, but trying to plug the individual PSU's in is hard going as they dont fit next to each other in 13A rackmount PDU. And yes I realise they should have bought G3's and powered them from an ASA ...

Anyone done this ? tempted to make up my own ... but much rather have a 'manufactured solution' for this install.

Thanks in advance.

Are you intending sacrificing the Sennheiser PSUs to get the plug that fits the receiver, or have you found a source of correctly fitting plugs?

I must admit that although the thought of one PSU is attractive, I'd be tempted to fit two MK 4 way mains strips onto a blank panel and mount the existing Sennheiser PSUs on those.

I have four on such a strip at present and they fit quite comfortably....

Dantech do some really nice 1U PSU's with a high output too, thanks for that, higher output than the Penn at 12V DC.

Have a look at Dantech's power supplies.

They do some nice 1U multiple outlet PSUs. Individually fused outputs and nicely made. 12v and 24v versions available.Phoenix connectors on the back IIRC.

I've used them a few times on installs.

I'll buy some of the DC plugs from CPC or similar when I work out what spec they are rather than sacrifice a Sennheiser PSU, always handy to have as we have a few that have failed in hire stock. I'll have a look at the MK 4 ways, any other dont seem to fit the PSU's next to each other. Thanks.

Are you intending sacrificing the Sennheiser PSUs to get the plug that fits the receiver, or have you found a source of correctly fitting plugs?

I must admit that although the thought of one PSU is attractive, I'd be tempted to fit two MK 4 way mains strips onto a blank panel and mount the existing Sennheiser PSUs on those.

I have four on such a strip at present and they fit quite comfortably....

A really neat solution for four (but not eight) is the JTS UA-900 active antenna distribution system - 4 way antenna distribution plus 4 12V outputs, and comes with all cables, all in 1U. One very happy user here.

Though obviously not ideal for eight units...

A really neat solution for four (but not eight) is the JTS UA-900 active antenna distribution system - 4 way antenna distribution plus 4 12V outputs, and comes with all cables, all in 1U. One very happy user here.

Also a happy user, but they seem to have been replaced by JTS UA 960, which has an additional pair of outputs to connect a second unit from the same pair of aerial inputs. Just the job for an 8 way rack but now much more expensive.

Brian

I'll buy some of the DC plugs from CPC or similar when I work out what spec they are rather than sacrifice a Sennheiser PSU, always handy to have as we have a few that have failed in hire stock. I'll have a look at the MK 4 ways, any other dont seem to fit the PSU's next to each other. Thanks.

The yellow Sennheiser DC plug is a custom/bespoke thing. I've tried quite hard to track them down, without success.

What I've ended up doing is snipping them off the supplies, and adding a "standard" DC plug so they could be used with other PSUs.

The yellow Sennheiser DC plug is a custom/bespoke thing. I've tried quite hard to track them down, without success.

What I've ended up doing is snipping them off the supplies, and adding a "standard" DC plug so they could be used with other PSUs.

When faced with a similar (but different) problem with Trantec S4.4 receivers, I found that whilst the plugs were not any of the common ones, Maplin did one which fitted them in their (very wide) range of interchangeable adaptor tips (the ones with the 2-pin reversible connector on the back to switch the polarity). As they also do a bare-ends to 2-pin socket lead, we used those to connect to the receivers and wired the other end up to the (common) PSU. A short length of adhesive-lined heatstrink and/or superglue are perfectly effective at keeping the 2-pin connector joined up so that the ends don't get lost or reversed!

Just checked... we can get four Sennheiser PSUs side by side on the Duraplug 4 way extension block

Thanks for that, currently we only have racmount 13A 6 way PDU's in and they are far too close to fit.., I may bond a normal /MK/ Duraplug 4 way on to a 2U blank then to try and make it look nicer than a 4 way tie wrapped into the back.

Thanks for that guys , we always use the Sennhesier ASA's , but the XSW's were existing :( I'll look at the JTS distro's for future use, cant be anything like as expensive as the Sennheisers :)

Gary

Also a happy user, but they seem to have been replaced by JTS UA 960, which has an additional pair of outputs to connect a second unit from the same pair of aerial inputs. Just the job for an 8 way rack but now much more expensive.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked... we can get four Sennheiser PSUs side by side on the Duraplug 4 way extension block

Thanks for that, currently we only have racmount 13A 6 way PDU's in and they are far too close to fit.., I may bond a normal /MK/ Duraplug 4 way on to a 2U blank then to try and make it look nicer than a 4 way tie wrapped into the back.

Thanks for that guys , we always use the Sennhesier ASA's , but the XSW's were existing :( I'll look at the JTS distro's for future use, cant be anything like as expensive as the Sennheisers :)

Gary

Brian

There are lots of suitable PSUs on ebay and you can get mutiway dc plugs I've been using them for years. A 2A PSU costing £2.99 will do about 6 receivers

Archived