New bars on stage

CPlater1

For my sins I have volunteered to do lighting for my village am-dram group, with my first show with them running at the end of January.

The venue is a church hall, and currently has a bar installed foh, but none on the stage. I am looking at getting 2 bars installed, one directly behind the proscenium, and one about halfway upstage, behind a gable.

http://I.imgur.com/shqVbmP.jpg

The options I can see are either using wall brackets T33300, or finding a way of suspending from the wooden beams. I would be looking at installing 5m bars, the expected loading on these bars being not very high, and likely that they will be removed (at least in part) when we're not using the venue.

There is an issue with mounting from the overhead wooden beams, as they are not vertical, rather they are on a diagonal. To mount the T33300 brackets, I would be looking at installing shallow uni-strut to fix to solid wood.

There is no room on the stage for stands.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

How's the foh bar been done? Or you could copy how the curtain track has been fixed. Anna is also right about ensuring that anything you do is structurally sound - copying what someone else has done doesn't mean you can just assume it's right.

Personally, and assuming you have checked out all the structural and insurance implications, I would use 3x ceiling saddle (T33700) and bar clamp (T30400) with M12 studding to suspend each bar off those large front-to-back beams which can be seen in your photo.

...they are diagonals so the bottom edge is parallel to the roof.

So bend the studding where it exits the saddle.

Or something like this...

post-207-0-38389400-1481193335_thumb.jpg

..and maybe forget the studding so the outer points are directly to the joists to give you maximum bar height.

Or something like this...

post-207-0-38389400-1481193335_thumb.jpg

..and maybe forget the studding so the outer points are directly to the joists to give you maximum bar height.

I had forgotten that those existed! That may turn out to be the most cost-effective method too.

Many of these older church hall set ups were done a fair while ago by people who didn't really understand all the implications or have to conform to today's higher standards, before you look at anything get a qualified structural engineer to have a look at whats there already and they will best advise what you need to do.

In a temporary situation a free standing system is sometimes a more cost effective solution as long as you have the space.

If it's on stage is there wing space to allow support from the floor? And a ladder type structure to avoid deflection on the horizontal?

From the first post "there is no room on the stage for stands". And my extensive experience of dodgy church hall rigging would suggest that the roof is often stronger than the floor/stage...

ok I see what you mean. But to be "safe" you'd still need structural advice to check the floor could take the load. I'd go for fixing it to those roof beams.

I remember seeing some great rigging like that on a bbc gig in a church, there were pillars and arches down each side and they'd run ladder beam behind the arches supported by single vertical poles ratchet strapped to the pillars.

Archived