New style of flame effect lamp.

bigclive

This new style of flame effect lamp is perfect for theatrical applications. I got a sample from the manufacturer and made a teardown video of it:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D8lmgxRqf8

OK, they did go berserk and made me take it down, but then decided I could put it back up again...

The most notable feature for TV and film use is that the display panel is direct drive and not multiplexed.

Power consumption in flame mode is a mere 2.5W

I thought this would be good in the Panto fire

is there any way to force the flame effect mode every time it is turned on

the other two modes would look very odd!!

Phil

Based on Clive's excellent analysis I would expect that tying that third, reference wire to either +5 or 0v would stop it detecting a powerdown in time to write into its NVRAM. You would have to get it into the right mode first of course.

The multi-mode function is really annoying because it seems a bit quirky. If you have the flame effect running and turn the light off and leave it for a minute or so it still sometimes bumps into the next mode when turned on again. I think there's a good chance that feature will be removed in a future version. Especially given that the maximum thermal stress on the lamp is when it is in fully lit mode.

At just 2.5W when in flame mode it probably wouldn't even need the aluminium core for dissipation if they did get rid of the constant mode.

A flat panel version would make a really nice fireplace effect. An off the shelf DC powered version would be nice too, although if they did one that was constantly in flicker mode you could probably bodge a battery supply easily enough to it. That'd be great for hand held flaming torches.

Haven't had time to watch the video in full yet

Anyone else watch this video, then another, then just one more and then realise that most of the morning had dissapeared?

Or was that just me?

:-)

I'm extremely interested in this for a production of Great Expectations next October, and so should be very grateful if contributors would flag up any developments or DIY modifications that emerge over the coming year.

Many thanks!

Occurs to me that for theatre use, one could replace the control PCB and power supply with a new board that is a plug-in replacement for the board in there now, and have an external DC supply and DMX feed. Its very nice that the standard board has sockets that the LED board plugs into. The hard bit is the lovely bent flexible LED surface.

Archived