Birdie bases?

Mr Steve

I've got some mains Par 16 birdies. I need to floor stand them, but can't screw them into the floor etc. I was wondering if anyone had any ingenious ways of making up some cheap bases for them?

:P

At the risk of sounding like I'm stating the obvious (so I apologise if it comes across like that, not the intention :P), the classic way (if they are not pre-based) is to remove the Birdie out of the yoke, screw the the yoke down (perhaps with a penny washer) and then replace the Birdie in the yoke.

As for proper bases - well perhaps if your handy with metalwork you could weld a M8 or 10 bolt to a small metal base plate, rig the Birdie up on this and then provide 4 small screw holes around the base plate for screwing into the stage.

HTH

Stu

The bases I intend to build when I get my birdies will be something like the following.

Square bit of wood, with M8 sized hole in the centre, with M8 bolt poking thru to the top.

A couple of bits of wood flanking the bolt head underneath, the same height as the head, and either side, so it can't turn.

Plywood or steel base covering this so that the bolt can't fall out.

This way, mounting is easy as, it's a solid base, and only requires a standard size nut/bolt. And you shouldn't need to screw it down. If you do, little "L" brackets on the sides, perhaps.

David

Cheers, I'll try and make some wooden bases for them.

I was going to try a bit of gaffer (I know it's a bad idea), but I thought it could melt and the birdies would droop/keel over.

The best I've seen were - I think - Stage Electrics' ones, but you could easily make your own. They are basically a 3" square, roughly 3mm thick steel plate with an M8 stud sticking out (tapped & welded in place) to attach the birdie to. They're heavy enough not to necessarily need screwing down, but big enough that you can screw them down through the corners without taking the yoke off the birdie.

I'm sure we've discussed this before...

Our school just tends to use gaffa (even if we're floormounting fresnels - no booms, so we just make do) If you use enough gaffa, it wont melt... Just trust in the gaffa :( (and get some wd40, its gets the gunk off really good)

If you do use wood, wouldnt you have to flame retard it?

If you do use wood, wouldnt you have to flame retard it?

Wood isn't very flammable. Sure it'll burn, but you need a lot of heat for quite a long time to get a sizeable chunk to go up.

Little bits are much easier of course!

Wood will char extensively before it will burn, so you should probably check your bases after each use to see if you are charring them - if so, you may need to do something about it.

And have you ever noticed that the surface of most stages is made of wood?

The easiest way that comes to mind is to make an H stand for them - It's uber simple, and uber cheap, and uber re-usable - two blocks of wood and a scrap bit of pipe, or even three pieces of wood. Drill a hole in the middle, then you can just choose whether to screw down or clamp.

The following image shows one of these 'base plates'. I think henley theatre services provides one when you hire a birdie.

http://www.aszy74.dsl.pipex.com/light.jpg

I have no idea where to buy these from but I scanned the image from a domestic lighting catalogue - I've forgotten the name. If anyone knows where to get these, please tell me!

Archived