Show backing tracks

0mgatr33

Hi, we run multiple different vocal shows at the moment, typically with about 10-15 different songs each. I have been looking into more automation of our lighting so I can focus on sound and discovered that you can use Winamp for time-code in magic q with my PC wing. Having never worked with time-code before would you recommend that I leave the tracks as is which is one long file that I made up of every track or split them back up into individual songs in the Winamp playlist? It feels like having them individually would be easier to program but would this cause me trouble later on?

Also any other general time-code programming tips for a newbie at it?

Tom

One long track is fine if that's what you need for the music. How do you cope though, with skipping a song, rearranging the set list, swapping, stopping in unplanned places, being asked to suddenly give a safety announcement, saying hello to the clients business partner half way through, encores, false tabs and the string of other things that would mean my mob couldn't even consider one long track?

Sooner or later you will need to change your repertoire and running order so I'd vote for lots of separate tracks. I was on a show a couple of years ago which had to change mid show because of a news story that broke about an hour before curtain up, could you do that?

I'd always go for separate tracks for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts. I've always found as well that long files can sometimes have strange things happen in Winamp which for playback I'd avoid anyway as its not designed well enough to always be stable. I base this on regular crashes with Winamp and looking at the website it looks like it's having yet another rebuild of Winamp. Go for something better designed for simple playback without all the bells and whistles Winamp home users like and think make it a good media player

1470502036[/url]' post='541355']

I suspect the reason for using Winamp is its ability to feed timecode to MagicQ. Not sure any other players do that?

If I remember rightly. The timecode out from Winamp is a plug in for it. I'm just sure there's going to be something a lot better for the job than what is in essence something that plays folders and in standard form won't even auto pause the end of a track

At the moment I have been using Audacity projects as it allows me to quickly shift tracks around, as long as it isn't playing. I also have a label track that has all the lighting cues on it to follow easily. I am not sure that it is possible to use another program to send time code directly to magic q without using the £500 chamsys interface

https://secure.chamsys.co.uk/help/documentation/magicq/ch36.html

Here is the manual section I have been using.

1470502036[/url]' post='541355']

I suspect the reason for using Winamp is its ability to feed timecode to MagicQ. Not sure any other players do that?

If I remember rightly. The timecode out from Winamp is a plug in for it. I'm just sure there's going to be something a lot better for the job than what is in essence something that plays folders and in standard form won't even auto pause the end of a track

The auto pause (stop) at end of track is an extremely easy and simple settings change.

Not sure why you are hating on Winamp- Chamsys must have seen it as valuable and stable enough to integrate into their software?

It is pretty useful, you can also control Winamp from Chamsys, so one of your timecoded cues could change the track or other attribute. Just watch our for changing your playlist around, Chamsys will receive timecode that says "track 1" "track 2" etc without knowing what track is playing. If you swap the tracks around you'll get track 1's lighting with track 2 and visa Versa!

Archived