Titan iOS remote problem

GRisdale

Trying to get the iOS remote to work without much success. I've got the console connected to an access point and set to 2.0.0.150 (255.0.0.0) - though I've tried many alternatives.

iPhone connected as 2.0.0.100 (255.0.0.0) on airplane mode.

Console not coming up in the list.

Have tried an Apple Airport Express and now a TP-Link nano router.

Any secret settings I'm missing?

Thanks,

Gareth

Trying to get the iOS remote to work without much success. I've got the console connected to an access point and set to 2.0.0.150 (255.0.0.0) - though I've tried many alternatives.

Console not coming up in the list.

Have tried an Apple Airport Express and now a TP-Link nano router.

Any secret settings I'm missing?

Thanks,

Gareth

Try access point at 2.0.0.1

and phone at 2.0.0.2

- Make sure Titan Remote version matches console (ie. V9.1 console = V9 remote).

- If you haven't already, try using DHCP on both the console and remote. If that doesn't work ensure subnet matches the one set on the router (for example the default for the TP Link is 192.168.0.254, so console could be 192.168.0.1, remote 192.168.0.2, mask 255.255.255.0).

Do not use a 2.x.x.x IP address. Ever.

The IANA specifically prohibit the use of this range in private networks.

Your iPhone knows that this IP is supposed to be public Internet, and is quite likely trying to connect to somebody's home Internet router in France, south-west of Nantes.

Obviously, this won't work.

There are only three ranges that are valid for private networks:

- 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

- 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

- 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

The Art-Net specification is simply wrong on this, and has almost certainly greatly annoyed the French and the Russians, who are assigned much of this IP range.

Your iPhone knows that this IP is supposed to be public Internet, and is quite likely trying to connect to somebody's home Internet router in France, south-west of Nantes.

So whats the big problem when it clearly as you say, wont work?

The IANA specifically prohibit the use of this range in private networks.

There are only three ranges that are valid for private networks:

- 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

- 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

- 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

The Art-Net specification is simply wrong on this, and has almost certainly greatly annoyed the French and the Russians, who are assigned much of this IP range.

Are you telling me even if my artnet network is not even connected to the internet that some one a problem in France or Russa a problem. Its a local network and it only for my use and your say that I can not use 2.0.0.0 range.

Are you telling me even if my artnet network is not even connected to the internet that some one a problem in France or Russa a problem. Its a local network and it only for my use and your say that I can not use 2.0.0.0 range.

It's not a local network if you're trying to access a non-local IP ;-)

The issue is more that the iPhone tries to connect to a 2.x.x.x address, sees it doesn't have an internet connection...

If the iPhone does have a 3g / wifi connection, then it'll try actually going to the 2.x.x.x address (e.g. france).

The way you tell the iPhone that you want to use a local network is to use a local IP address, e.g. 10.x.x.x, as per the Art-net spec.

Surely in airplane mode the phone's wireless connection is disabled? How are you connecting your phone to your router?

Thanks all. Reset everything in the chain and started again using 192.168.0.XXX addresses and it started working.

The Avo guides on getting it to work specifically point you towards 2.X.X.X addressing and show it working on Youtube. Bit of a red herring it would seem.

FYI - Yes, you put the phone in Airplane Mode then turn the wifi back on. This is the most common fault finding suggestion when people have trouble with the iOS remote (having the phone bit turned on screws it up apparently), hence why I mentioned it.

Cheers,

Gareth

Eh? But the artnet spec DOES say 2.x.x.x so not sure what you mean in your last paragraph above?

The artnet spec mentions 2.x.x.x and 10.x.x.x

It's more choosing which one you want to use based on your requirements.

If you want to use a setup which plays ball with networking equipment, then use the local version of ArtNet (e.g. 10.x.x.x) rather than the public broadcast version of artnet (e.g. 2.x.x.x)

Surely in airplane mode the phone's wireless connection is disabled? How are you connecting your phone to your router?

Go into airplane to disable the 3g part, then choose to connect wireless to the desk access point / non internet wifi only.

Eh? But the artnet spec DOES say 2.x.x.x so not sure what you mean in your last paragraph above?

I'm saying that this part of the Art-Net spec is incorrect, but that it didn't matter to anyone until October 2009.

In October 2009, 2.0.0.0/8 was allocated to RIPE NCC.

Prior to that (1981 onwards) it was reserved for future use and shouldn't have been used by anyone (a "bogon" IP).

Today, most lighting control networks don't have any way at all of getting to the Internet, and the vast majority of the equipment made for the industry is explicitly designed only to be used in completely private networks with no possible route to the Internet.

If all that applies, then the IP range you use doesn't matter at all.

However, smartphone remotes are different.

Smartphones know a lot about the Internet, so they can try to get the best available Internet connection.

An iPhone knows that 2.x.x.x is supposed to be the Internet, and so it will try to find a connection - any connection - that does (or at least might) have Internet.

So if it's got mobile data, it'll send it that way - to France, Russia etc.

If it knows there definitely isn't one, it can decide to give up and never send anything at all.

- Why waste battery sending packets to a place that it knows can't be there?

There are of course ways to 'trick' it into working on a 2.x.x.x IP range, but why bother - they might not work in the future.

Better to use one of the many IPs intended for this purpose.

Archived