Top Hat fittings

revbobuk

Folks - need to fit a small hand rail to help folk up two steps on to a platform. But need to have it removeable - so I was planning to drop the rail into two top hat fittings set into the stage surface, so that it could be lifted uot when not needed. Are those available in anything other than 35mm dia? Is there anything else that would suit? We'd rather have 45 or 48mm handrail (planning on stainless) so a bigger socket would be ideal.

I can't seem to access the relevant section of their website but Alistage guardrails are simple, drop-in, lightweight aluminium post and rail type things that have slightly tapered bottoms that do just that, drop-in. They have plastic covers for the holes when not in use and are normal scaff sized with useful step handrails and the like.

Might be worth a call.

Alistage Ltd, Earls Farm, Earls Lane, South Mims, Potters Bar, EN6 3LT Telephone :01707 653245 email : sales@alistage.co.uk

The flush Key clamp type sockets are designed to be set into concrete, so fitting it into your stage in an appropriate manner may be tricky. Plus it does leave a ~140mm wide piece of metal with a hole in it at the edge of your stage.

Would it be possible to set some tee nuts into the stage surface and bolt a suitable key clamp handrail in place when needed? (i.e. http://www.interclamp.com/en/interclamp/132 or similar)

Though of course the tee nut has to be set in from the underside of the stage surface.

The Alvin keyclamps version might be better for this use. Grind off the concrete lugs and drill the top for screws.

Brilliant. Just the job. Thanks all!

The flush Key clamp type sockets are designed to be set into concrete, so fitting it into your stage in an appropriate manner may be tricky. Plus it does leave a ~140mm wide piece of metal with a hole in it at the edge of your stage.

Would it be possible to set some tee nuts into the stage surface and bolt a suitable key clamp handrail in place when needed? (i.e. http://www.interclamp.com/en/interclamp/132 or similar)

Though of course the tee nut has to be set in from the underside of the stage surface.

That would work, and not too much work. If I can't find a suitable socket, that's plan B!

I'd be very cautious of cheap top hats from catalogues, they may well be fit for speakers but not for people. Solid cast ones have been replaced by tack welded things and plastic mouldings.

Good point that. And some of the cheaper cast ones seem to be made of cheese.

Archived