Best connectors for joining multicores

Stuart91

If there's a chance you might ever want to disconnect or change either part of the run, have a look at EDAC connectors (or the Canford ELCO equivalent). In my TV days we used them a lot for this sort of thing. We used the crimp connection version because life is too short for that much soldering--and even with the crimp be prepared for some hours in the attic with a flask of tea or coffee and a radio tuned to your favourite station. I was always a Radio 4 solderer or crimper.

If there's a chance you might ever want to disconnect or change either part of the run, have a look at EDAC connectors (or the Canford ELCO equivalent).

How reliable are EDACs in the long run? I've always been warned off them, but I think that was because they didn't handle being kicked around festival stages and the like.

There doesn't seem to be any requirement to change things around, but it might be a useful piece of future proofing if the price doesn't jump too much.

My colleagues has plumbed the depths of his mind and found the units I was thinking of:

Canford Tag Block

Stick them in a nice box with a good label and a gland for strain relief (if felt to be needed) or sealing to stop spiders getting in, and it'll be good for years.

Though I have noticed they appear to be discontinued....

EDACs are absolutely fine. Their weakness in a live situation is that the cable clamp is a somewhat simple saddle clamp which wouldn't always grip a multicore cable properly when handled roughly. In this situation that should not be an issue.

Although it adds to the bill a little, it's worth considering getting the pin insertion and extraction tools.

However, if disconnection is not a necessary feature, I would go for sleeved soldered connections in a suitable enclosure or box fitted with cable clamps.

We used that style of tag block back in the early 1980s but had migrated to Krone IDC blocks by our next major build in the early 1990s (as had British Telecom).

The Krone punch tool is an order of magnitude faster than soldering and somewhat faster than wire wrap tag blocks. For what it's worth, my 25 year old IDC punch tool still works on Australian domestic phone sockets but don't tell Telstra that I know that...

Archived