cheap but reliable wireless mics

Dave m

Moving to a new post in a couple of months and had a meeting yesterday.

A much reduced budget seems likely

I'd normally go sennheiser 300/500 route but doubt they can stick the amount

I am familiar with the old sennheiser freeport systems and to be honest, they were ok.

These will be presentation miss with the possibility of a HH question mic.

Any recommendations for a sub £200 system?

I doubt that XLR out is a need

40 feet range may be adequate

AFAIk they have a studio spares a/c so I've been trawling there

ta

The Freeport systems are now discontinued but Trantec have an almost identical model. They'll be cheaper than XS systems would work out.

I suspect the audio from XS systems will be better but I don't think the build quality (of the transmitters particularly) is any better.

The sennheiser XS units aren't bad. The plastic and bulky pack is a little annoying but we have a rack of 12 that spend 20-30 weeks a year in different school and halls and are still going 4 years strong, the bit most likely to fail is the Battery compartment lid, but they do do spares for a price.

the audio technica 2000 series was incredible value for money at £150 per system but had a significant price rise recently making it less attractive.

Jts has a very good selection of microphones sub £300 and really worth considering

I've been impressed with the Samson Synth 7 that was installed on our cinema audio system for the odd presenter use. I didn't spec it, but despite it being a "budget" brand, it sounds pretty good, and ticks all the engineering boxes. It has balanced out on XLR, and at the full length of our hall, despite the line-of-site path being through a steel wall (old nitrate film fire protection) so the signal has to go through the glass portholes or around the wall, the signal strength is excellent, never had a drop out. Battery life is good, after three hours on the display still shows full power. It seems a very good bit of kit, it feels like something much more expensive.

don't shoot the messenger but....

If you aren't fussy about mobile phone use you may consider the line6 vxd30. I've used them a few time this year at 60s festivals - for dj/continuity, comedians and solo vocals - they performed quite well (with some bass proximity) in all situations. the range is good enough for me to have receivers at front of house, sometimes some 20m away - for me the only down sides are they have some bass proximity and your monile signal isn't always as strong - but that's anecdotal - I had a venue where it was weak anyway but disappeared when the recievers were plugged in near the phone.

If you aren't fussy about mobile phone use you may consider the line6 vxd30.

I think the lowest cost Line 6 lapel radio system is the XD V35L. I haven't seen these sold as a system with a headset, and the Line 6 headsets made for the V35 look more suited for aerobics instructors. Both lapels and headsets use 1/4" jack connectors - which makes it a bit mic specific from what I can see (the connector disappears halfway down the beltpack, so I suspect shape is an issue). The lapel version is about £140 - so pretty cheap! Only 6 can play together.

The better unit is their XD V55L, with a more discreet headset and TA4 connector. Costs about £280 though, but they claim up to 12 can play together.

If you aren't fussy about mobile phone use you may consider the line6 vxd30.

I think the lowest cost Line 6 lapel radio system is the XD V35L. I haven't seen these sold as a system with a headset, and the Line 6 headsets made for the V35 look more suited for aerobics instructors. Both lapels and headsets use 1/4" jack connectors - which makes it a bit mic specific from what I can see (the connector disappears halfway down the beltpack, so I suspect shape is an issue). The lapel version is about £140 - so pretty cheap! Only 6 can play together.

The better unit is their XD V55L, with a more discreet headset and TA4 connector. Costs about £280 though, but they claim up to 12 can play together.

the spec from the OP called for a handheld. I mis-typed it's the xd-30 we have been using - picking these up in good condition for £70 ish - they appear the same as the 35's now being sold. as far as I can tell the only difference between these and the higher spec models is the extra 4 channels (10 vs 6) and the ability to use rack ears and antenna.

the OP said "These will be presentation miss with the possibility of a HH question mic."

Line 6's XD V35 handheld is around £145. The V55 series does have more features in addition to the 12 simultaneous channels...<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">

Archived