Kenn Dodd

Thirdtap

It has struck me maybe people are too young but nobody has mentioned the 'comedic act' that goes on for as long as the ring cycle - KENN DODD!!!

Is he still going?

He had an ambition to play every theatre in this fair land.

I'm sure many people have a Ken Dodd story - mine is that I agreed to operate the followspot for a show in return for 1 pint of beer. That's about 5 fluid oz per hour in old money. It was for a mate, you know the sort of thing " go on - it'll be a laugh. I'll buy you a pint" and I'm sure I had the favour returned at a later stage...so all was well - mind you with the price of beer nowadays, I probably don't earn much more than that in new money!

Maybe this should be split in to another thread for stories relating to Mr Dodd.

The best story I heard was the stage manager who tried calling time on the show several times due to curfew and general boredom. They got told 'not long..' ' nearly there..' and 'not quite finished yet'

Said SM had enough put workers and house lights on threw keys onstage and told Ken to lock up once he had finished.

True? maybe...

Mr Dodd is at the Playhouse in Weston on July 15th and muggins here is on Lights and Sound (the Technical Manager is away that day <_< )

Show starts at 7:30, Interval at 10:00, Show over by 00:45, get home about 2:00

Yay!

still, he used to do 2 shows of an evening :)

Kenn Dodd Northamton, a couple of months back!

I was on followspot for the 6 hours! And it just happened that our air conditioning wasn't working!! So not only were we dying of bordem, but sweating to death aswell!!!!

:P

• 4 weeks later...

I once was dossing worund hull new theatre with a mate who was working there, ken dodd was playing that night.

3 things happened:

1) Mister Dodd, in one of his more peaceful moods, had a go at some of the crew and then at me "What the f :D ;) k do you want kid" (I was 16 at the time).#

2) I went outside for a cig, obviously deeply upset by KD. And was approached by a guy the size of a building (lots of those in hull) who said "I'm going in to see ken dodd and you ain't gonna stop me" I didn't try and let him fight with someone else instead.

3) After the show, KD went to the outside road by the stage door, to find that his jag had been nicked.

And the crew lived happily ever after.

OWen

yeah, but by all accounts, he wasnt a nice bloke in the first place.

god it would be nice to have air con up in the rig - limes are no fun with child plays when the kids barely know their lines. I know of no other situation that tests the impulse to kick them into the cyc, just to see what happens when they hit it.

ah well, think of the £ when all else fails (has to be all else, the £ is poor too :D )cheers

smeggie

3) After the show, KD went to the outside road by the stage door, to find that his jag had been nicked.

Could it have happened to a nicer bloke?

Hmmm sounds to me like he deserved it!

Smeggie are you sure it wasn't you who nicked it?!

Stu

Archived