Beamz Ice1800 DMX Control

russchallis1

Would it not be easier to just USE it on channel one if its for your own use than messing about with decoding and recoding the DMX stream?

The issue is I would like to use it in the theatre I work at where we have dimmers hard patched on channels 1-48 and I only have an avolites titan one so cant use additional universes to solve the issue.

The company I purchased the unit off are insistent that even though there is a DIP switch and everything that the unit only functions on DMX channel 1. I have tried contacting the company who own Beamz but after sending about 5 emails I cannot get them to reply...

I don't have access to a DMX Merger but am looking to purchase one. Surely if you merged channel 1 in then when I turn it up for say a dimmer it would turn the fogger on too?

If you have access to a DMX merge you can offset DMX addreses, but why can't you resolve the issue with the supplier. Can they send you a replacement DMX control board ?

Would I be able to use this or is this too basic?

http://shop.showtec.co.uk/lighting-controllers/specials/showtec-DMX-merge

A merge would be able to offset. E.g take input addresses 1-510 and send to output 1 as addresses 1-510; and take input address 511 and send to output 2 as address 1; and take input 512 and send to output 3 as address 1

Probably not. This box is designed to add an offset to one of the inputs so that e.g. input addresses 1 to 48 are output as addresses 101 to 148. What you need to do is SUBTRACT an offset so that e.g. address 49 is output as 1.

The suggestion above about getting a simple DMX relay board and connecting it across the remote contacts is the simplest (assuming it has remote contacts).

Mind you,I still think someone at the supplier is spinning you a line. No company in their right minds would put an inoperable DIP switch into a piece of kit like that AND state in the manual that it sets the DMX address. Who on earth did you buy it from?

Dave

As promised I had a look at the code required for doing this with an Arduino. I've had to hack someone else's library to make it work with input and output simultaneously but I now have it working successfully. If you'd like to see what I've done then send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you a copy. Be warned that the library needs a bit of tidying up. Once I've understood the protocol for sharing such things publicly I'll stick it on Github. I've done it as an exercise in working with libraries so I'm sure it can be improved!

The demo/test program is a simple DMX soft (firm actually!) patch containing an array of pairs of channels to patch to each other so, with the addition of a couple of 75176s it will do your job just as it is. If you want to be able to configure the patch without reprogramming the chip you'll have to write that bit yourself.

Dave

I purchased it from ElectroMarket and I also still do not believe that they are telling me the full truth. I did try emailing the manufacture but as I said this failed.

Probably not. This box is designed to add an offset to one of the inputs so that e.g. input addresses 1 to 48 are output as addresses 101 to 148. What you need to do is SUBTRACT an offset so that e.g. address 49 is output as 1.

The suggestion above about getting a simple DMX relay board and connecting it across the remote contacts is the simplest (assuming it has remote contacts).

Mind you,I still think someone at the supplier is spinning you a line. No company in their right minds would put an inoperable DIP switch into a piece of kit like that AND state in the manual that it sets the DMX address. Who on earth did you buy it from?

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, had a show last year and we had a Beamz 1800 as a smoke behind a piece of set. The DIP'S did work on our machine as it was in the high 300's! I may be able to have a look at our one if needed??

Cheers,

Sam

• 1 year later...

Hi Friends...

The same problem I have and founded the way it work!!

The DIP 10 switch always must be in on position (up).. Maybe some addresses can not be accesed because of it.

And then you have to program the direcction substracting one to the desired value. If you want to use CH200 you have to program 199..

Be careful becausethe less significative bit is the left one (1).

The instrucction manual is wrong because it says on is the position near to the floor and it is the oposite. on correspond to the on in the switch.

Cheers!

Archived