Upgrade from Yamaha DXR15's?

dickiefunk

Hi,

I'm curious to know what I'd be looking at to upgrade my Yamaha DXR15 tops. I really like the DXR15's and have had continuous complements on the results I get with them but I find them a little scooped in sound and lack a little warmth. Ideally what I'd like is :-

1/ Less scooped mids2/ Slightly higher output3/ Even deeper bass4/ Built in crossover5/ No heavier than DXR15's (23kg)

I will be using these tops with a pair of QSC KW181 subs so having a built in crossover is essential as the KW181's don't have one. I also want something that can at least go as deep (preferably deeper) than the DXR15's as I often just use these just by themselves in smaller venues and run bass guitar, acoustic kick drum or V-Drums through them. The DXR15's have coped with this very well but if I could get something that does this even better then great! As I'm carrying these regularly by myself I don't want anything heavier than the DXR15's (23kg).

What would you recommend given my requirements?

I don't think you're going to find what you want to replace the DXR's. They're a great speaker as they are!

If you're putting bass guitar, and acoustic kick through them, you're misusing them, without sub's.

I understand your need for portability, however if you are doing the small venues with bass & kick drum through the DXR's you will either, damage them, and/or shorten the life of the 15 inch driver over the long term. Speakers are made to amplify certain frequencies and putting in lower frequency's than they can handle is not a good thing.

We regularly do small venues with 5 piece "rock" bands and always,ALWAYS, couple the DXR's with the powered Yamaha DSR118W subs (which have internal crossovers). [ie plug L+R signal into subs, then 'thru' to DXR's, - processing is done by the crossover inside the subs]

This is for several reasons #1 it takes the strain off the top boxes and makes for a cleaner sound #2 it protects the internal power/signal processing and avoids peaking/clipping #3 it prolongs the life of the speakers.

You will only ever get certain frequency responses out of a 15 inch driver within a a "plastic" manufactured powered enclosure, it's just the way they are constructed.

I cannot think of a 15 inch powered enclosure on a par with the DXR's in price/weight/performance that will get the frequencies you are expecting from a top box.

As another thought try putting in a '1RU" processor such as a DBX Driverack PA+ ( http://dbxpro.com/en/products/driverack-pa ), once you have set the correct parameters installed, the unit may enhance your existing system somewhat, without major expense (approx $US299) - worth a try at least!

At a bare minimum, I would try an external DUAL 31band graphic, from FOH L+R signal output of your mixer, before the input of the speakers, and "play" around with the frequencies to try and get close to what you want.

I started out with my own PA, back in the day, which were 4 x EV Sx300's with 2x EV Sb121's and 2 mackie FR1400 amps. The Mackie amps had a built in X-over and performed excellently, so I DO appreciate your need for power AND portability, but I think you are not doing yourself any favours by NOT having subs when routing Bass Guitar and Kick drum through your top boxes.

I wish you good luck in your endeavours, keep us informed on progress.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not driving the DXR's that hard when running kick and bass through them. I've been doing this for 2-3 years pretty successfully. I run them with an A&H QU-PAC which has GEQ on the LR outputs which I use. Whilst this helps it doesn't completely solve my requirements.

I've had the JBL PRX715 and QSC KW122 recommended but have no experience with those. Also, FBT has announced a new Promaxx v2 series and a higher end Ventis range which look quite interesting but no prices yet.

Contrary to the opinion above, you will not do any undue damage to the DXR's by putting kick, bass etc through them. Being powered boxes with on board processing tuned to the capabilities of the drivers the unit as a whole will protect itself from over-excursion and thermal damage - providing that your input signal is clean , which I'm sure it is. These are very difficult speakers to damage.

The physical limitations of a box on a stick of similar size preclude anything similar to produce powerful, deep bass - particularly when your remit is a smaller / lighter system - so I think you will struggle. Subs, sitting on the floor and coupling to it have a big head start here.

I would also disagree regarding the addition of the DBX driverack - these are woeful sounding things, very adept at sucking the life out of any PA system....the less kit in your signal path the better - the same goes with EQ - a little goes a very long way.

Yes I don't want to have to bring extra gear on top of what I already have. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to be able to audition lots of speakers so not sure how or if I'm going to be able to do this?

The speakers that I'm considering are the JBL PRX715's, QSC KW122 and the upcoming FBT Promaxx2 14a and Ventis 112a. At a completely different budget there is the RCF TT22a-II and the EAW Redline RL12 but sadly these are almost twice my budget!

I'd have suggested the RCF TTs long up the thread, but they are outside your weight specification. But they will be a genuine step up in terms of quality.

The problem you face, Dickie, is that the DXRs are an incredible compromise of everything that matters, and if you want to change, then you will lose something on the compromise, be it weight, money, whatever...

The RCF TT's I mentioned actually only weigh 18.5kg but the £3200 price tag is outside my budget! I went with the QSC KW181's because of size, weight and price. They were the only affordable subs that were a significant upgrade from my old EV ELX118p's that both could fit into my small van and I could manage by myself.

I recognise the DXR15's do offer serious bang for the buck and there's still a good chance I'll stick with what I've got! I was really throwing this out their to see if there is anything under £2000 per pair that would fit what I'm looking for.

Yes those Martins look great but at 28kg for the 12" they are too heavy for me.

The FBT Promaxx 14a mkII, Ventis 112a and QSC KW122 look like they could be the only potential candidates (providing the FBT's come in at under £1000 per cab? Will need to wait prices when they are announced. The JBL PRX715's doing have a built in HPF to use with an external sub so they are off my list.

The RCF TT's I mentioned actually only weigh 18.5kg but the £3200 price tag is outside my budget! I went with the QSC KW181's because of size, weight and price. They were the only affordable subs that were a significant upgrade from my old EV ELX118p's that both could fit into my small van and I could manage by myself.

I recognise the DXR15's do offer serious bang for the buck and there's still a good chance I'll stick with what I've got! I was really throwing this out their to see if there is anything under £2000 per pair that would fit what I'm looking for.

I think any meaningful upgrade in your price range is going to be outside your weight limit.

For example:

Yamaha DSR 115 are 28KG

Electro-Voice ETX 15P are 27.7KG

Archived