Food on stage for audience to eat

wainie23

Under Food Hygiene? I assume you mean the local authorities?

Food hygiene certificates are oddly, not a legal requirement, but like many other things we assume a rules, just centre on the requirement to do it safely. So whoever is in charge needs to do a risk assessment, and if they're happy no harm is likely to come to members of the public, it's fine - but of course, they carry the responsibility.

The local authorities food ratings are advisory - and like some around here who have 0 on a 1 to 5 scale, they can still sell food. If the public health authorities consider an outlet too risky, then they can close them down and fine them, but they are reactive legally, and proactively in their public rating system.

As a stage show with food, whoever is in charge just needs to make sure it's safe. That's probably the production company, or hirer.

I would suggest that several shows are cookery demonstrations, and the food is later served. What opinion do you have of the company's food hygene policy? If they have custom built kitchen islands with cooking power feed, fridge etc it could be easy. If the company hasn't appreciated the risks hazards and essential kit -no way.

I can think of 2 shows I know that do this at the moment.

One is a pro chef / presenter, and the other is a comic who has been doing the stuff for over a year or so I think in various forms.

I would just check in with them what they have and do.

I think the big thing is how they want to store the food under the lights, check its cooked, and washing hands.

Anecdote time with warning. I once did a gig with Ken Hom doing Thai curry in Waterstone's Cheltenham and three months later the regional director was still moaning at me about the smell held in their books.

Preparing and serving food is no problem given what the guys above say, about food hygiene and especially equipment safety, but do try to think laterally on spillage, aromas, stains and clean-up.

I thought I had foreseen everything. I hadn't.

Usually in a food preparation area walls and ceilings have to be impervious and able to be wiped down, also light fittings need to be protected to that glass cannot fall in food if a bulb breaks. Dust falling into food or on to preparation services will be a concern.

It may be that the demonstration food prepared to show method has to be discarded and 'one that I did earlier' used for the tasting.

• 2 weeks later...
Are they a registered food business? If so they will have a 'scores on the doors' rating based on the latest inspection which will be linked to their registered premises address and business name. They will also be able to provide you with all the RAs and so on that you will need and most importantly whether they have ever done this sort of event before. Only you and your management team will be able to decide whether your premises are suitable for what is proposed and whether they need to be inspected by the local authority before the event takes place. If they are not a registered food business I think I'd be wary.

Archived