Wall Mountable Scaffolding Clamps

rmburton90

Hello,

I have been asked to look at an installation for a school theater. They want scaffolding bars going the front of the stage to the back of the stage just under 3.5m's (this will be roughly 2.5m's up the wall above the pros arch). These bars will be secured at either end to the wall. There will then be 3 cross bars that go from SL to SR which the lighting will be suspended from (these will be roughly 6m's long)

My main question is does anyone know of the clamp that I will need that will attach the scaffolding bar end to the wall?

Thanks in advance

Rowan

You need to think about loading, this does not sound like such a great plan. 3.5m is too long for an unsupported scaff tube, never mind one which then has something else suspended from it.

How many of these front-to-back bars are there and how much load will each scaff bar have to carry?

You will need to use something more substantial such as ladder beam or truss, or add extra support from the roof ... as with all rigging you need to get some expert advice on what you want to do.

You need to think about loading, this does not sound like such a great plan. 3.5m is too long for an unsupported scaff tube, never mind one which then has something else suspended from it.

How many of these front-to-back bars are there and how much load will each scaff bar have to carry?

You will need to use something more substantial such as ladder beam or truss, or add extra support from the roof ... as with all rigging you need to get some expert advice on what you want to do.

There would be 4 of the upstage downstage bars, Load across everything probably wouldn't exceed say 200kg.

I did want to look at other options but the client was very keen on this method. I am waiting for a structural engineer to call me back.

Thanks

Others have beaten me to it while typing. Are you just attaching the whole rig at four points to the wall?

EDIT: Ok - four bars so attached at 8 points but still not properly supported for scaff.

Personally I'd be looking at suspending it from above (to something suitably rated). Attaching it to the wall in four places puts all the load on those points, and I'm not sure, even as a non-rigger, I'd be happy to allow people under that, given that the rig will flex if it isn't supported anywhere else, and it could (probably will) simply pull out of the mounts.

That said, I've seen people use base flanges to attach the end of a bar to a wall, which is not what they are intended for (i.e. as primary load bearers). Is that what you're thinking of?

That said, I've seen people use base flanges to attach the end of a bar to a wall, which is not what they are intended for. Is that what you're thinking of?

I was thinking about potentially getting something custom made that holds it securely to the wall.

Rowan

There would be 4 of the upstage downstage bars, Load across everything probably wouldn't exceed say 200kg.

Whoa, including the weight of all the bars that would probably only give you a loading capacity of 50kg per bar - not enough even for a few theatrical lights and someone is bound to come along with some movers they want to hang on it.

You need to allow for at least 250kg per bar.

I would respectfully suggest to the client that their preferred method is a bit dodgy and get your structural engineer down there (when they ring you back).

How far away is the ceiling?

Probably the best way is to fix the poles at the walls using kee-klamp base plates as Seano suggested, then put in suspension points from the roof to actually carry the load using these with studding, or beam clamps, unistrut or whatever suits the roof structure.

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/shop/images/thumbs/t_t33700.jpg

Fairly simple but you do need some professional advice just to confirm you won't pull the ceiling down and how much load everything is carrying.

My (inexpert) worry would be that anything that is attached to the wall would be under a pull strain as stuff gets loaded onto the bars, and thus the bar could pull its way out of whatever is holding it. It needs to be able to take down strain whilst allowing some movement due to bar bendage.

As Mr Buckley suggests, this is not a good idea anywhere and is definitely not one to try in a school.

In Cheltenham I would get CNM down in Swindon Village to have a look once they have finished at the racing. They know about our game, TDS, rigging and are also approved consultants to schools like Pate's.

If nothing else they do, unlike BR or any other internet forum, have professional indemnity insurance.

My (inexpert) worry would be that anything that is attached to the wall would be under a pull strain as stuff gets loaded onto the bars, and thus the bar could pull its way out of whatever is holding it.

Exactly my feeling, as a I said above. The bar will bend and likely pull out.

This might have been the done thing a few decades ago but in this risk adverse environment we now live in, where rightly or wrongly, it is the insurers risk assessors that are making all the rules and passing it off as health and safety, when all they are doing is minimising their clients exposure to a claim, this needs structural reports, engineered designs and a certified installation, with and inspection program put into place.

...... passing it off as health and safety, when all they are doing is minimising their clients exposure to a claim.

Minimising exposure to claim by making it safer is a good thing IMHO

Archived