Loading Ramps

the kid

We are looking at getting some new loading ramps for our truck, as our current one is, while good, just too short to be good .

I was wondering is there a "ideal" angle for a ramp at all. All I seem to see is HSE guides on wheelchair ramps, which is fine but a 4degree ramp might be a BIT long when it comes to loading a truck.

We are currently looking at a 6m one, hooking on the truck when it is at the lowest (118cm)

THanks

E2A - Supplier just said they use ~1:4 (~25deg)

I just did a sketchup of what we were looking at which would be 6m long - ~11.5 degree - long but not that bad ?

I'd think that in most circumstances the longer, the better. So go for the longest you can transport & store. Of course, as it gets longer, it needs to be stronger too, so the weight will increase faster than the length, if that makes sense.

Raalloy IS where we are looking ! its less get get it in the uk than here. !

Like I said it just seem that a 25degree is still pretty steep. At the moment our ramp is 3.5m , it works, but getting heavy stuff up is a bit brutal- Its the initial "hit" that is the problem, + the off load speed. it works but less fun when its 180kg case with £70k inside.

It appears that Ra'alloy say that their RR13 (3.75m long) is perfect for flight cases and meat racks, but I think that the ramps used by Mathews et al are shorter, as they will stand up in the back of a MegaCube. This is very useful if you don't have the floor space to travel it lying down, or don't have a ramp carrier underneath.

If I have the presence of mind when I am tipping our wires trailer into Woking on Monday, I will measure the ramp and report back.

it works but less fun when its 180kg case with £70k inside.

I would stop transporting money as coins then. Notes are much lighter.

I think the issue is that while 3.75 is great, "most" trucks (see Paul Matthews et al) have small wheel trucks so are inherently lower before they start. Our truck is large wheels and thus higher even when taken down.

Have you looked at a folding or 2 part ramp, they come under the bespoke range for most suppliers but may be more useful if you go to venues that have a loading dock as you could use just half of it.

They do need a set of legs or fold down support but are lighter than one long rampand may be able to stand the two halves up in the back of the truck.

don't have a ramp carrier underneath.

Ramp carriers are a great idea, but if you do fit one, make sure it is secure - I've come across at least one company who have had theirs stolen whilst the trailer was parked up. The ramp is a big lump of aluminium with considerable scrap value.

Have you looked at a folding or 2 part ramp, they come under the bespoke range for most suppliers but may be more useful if you go to venues that have a loading dock as you could use just half of it.

They do need a set of legs or fold down support but are lighter than one long rampand may be able to stand the two halves up in the back of the truck.

The 6m that we are looking at is a 2 part.

The original idea was to have our old one and adapt it with a new one, but the cost was knocking on £2.5k

Archived