Bose set up issues

Ian Lawrence

Hello everyone....I need some help. I have two sets of Bose 802 and 1 set of 302 bass units and have a Bose 802 c controller. I have been playing today and plugged in my basic Prosound 1600 amp in to fire up and listen to some lightweight music in our barn. I intend to buy some decent amps but was curious to test the 302s as I bought them blind without hearing them so needed to just check. Obviously alone the 302s ran and sounded..well like bass units.....The 802s I ran separately and..they sounded like ...well 802s...The amp isnt up to much but it works efficiently....I decided to link 302 to 802 with a link lead and ran from just one side of the amp...The amp tripped and out itself into standby protection mode....On rechecking I realised I was supplying from the 302 output to amp from the 802c and guess this why. Having done some investigation I realise (I think) that I need to wire up the following way. Supply from mixer into 802c controller and separate amp outputs for 302s and 802s from the relevant outputs. My question is.... are..... The two outputs for the 302s...Do I send both to amp and send two out to speakers, or do I send to one speaker and link them up? The 802 output(s) go to a separate amp (another Prosound 1600) and I run 4 802 s from that or what that bot be possible ? Sorry to sound thick and sorry this is quite in depth...... but I need this right before my next gig. Here is basic spec for the amps

Model NumberN91FNPower SpecificationsContinuous Power1600 WBoth Channels Driven2 x 500 W RMS @ 4?2 x 250 W RMS @ 8?Bridged Mono mode800 W @ 8?SensitivityInput Sensitivity0 dBInput impedance30 K Unbalanced15 K BalanceThank you all in advance for any help for this pathetic fool this end.

The Bose controller is a line level ONLY device - it does not connect at all to speakers - you use it in exactly the same way as any crossover = two jacks go to the amp for the 802's left and right, and the other two jacks go to amp used for the 302s. If you only have one amp, then feed two 302s from one side of the amp, and two 802s from the other side of the amp and adjust the gains to give a balanced sound - in mono.

If you have only one amp you can also patch the 802s out of the back of the 302s (The socket should be marked).

You then simply connect the 802c inline with the amp. L & R from mixer to L & R input of 802c then (IIRC) use the 302 outputs from the controller to the amp. The 802c with the jack out puts will automatically know to go to full range if only the 302 outputs are used. Not sure about other versions...

With 2 pairs of 802s, simply patch them together using the second jack on the back of the 802 that's linked to the amp. Although, if you only have one amp, using four 802s (2 per side plus 302s) may be too much load on the amp so would be best with just one pair (plus 302s).

So using a single amp, the 802c is wired inline with the amp like you might with a grahpic EQ. (In fact it IS an EQ....)

Using two amps, the 802c is wired the same as an active crossover, it splits the signal from the mixer to high and low. (in simple terms!)

EDIT: Just remembered... It is XLR/Jack input on both 302/802, but only 1/4" jack out from 302 > 802 :unsure:

It is XLR/Jack input on both 302/802, but only 1/4" jack out from 302 > 802

The 802c is jack + XLR in & jack-only out, but beware - all the ones I have met have the XLRs wired (old) US-style, ie. Pin 3 hot.

Okay ladies and gents. Thank you for your responses. Re the 802C..Maybe my explanation states I am wiring from 802c to speakers...That is not the case...I wire to the controller and then to the amp...The amp trips if I connect the 302s up with the 802s so guess I would have to run the mono system as suggested. With the info I supplied re the amp I am asking why it trips?Is it because at present I am taking just one output from the controller into the amp and then the link to the 302s with a connecting lead to the 802 on top? My second question is Do I need 2 or 4 amps? I have 4x 802s and 2x 302s...The schematic diagram shows I can bi amp (using 4) or two amps?....(one for 802s and one for 302s) ....

My God I am confusing myself here...thank you to you clever ones for sorting me out here.

• 2 years later...

Bose

Hi guys, I’m new to here but thought I’d add to this thread rather than create a new one.

Ok so I stopped gigging my Bose 302 (x2) and Bose 802 (x4) some years back. Was a straight forward set up along with 2 Bose amps in bi amplified mode.

I have recently handed these over to someone else who already an existing set up but I wanted to be sure on how to combine both sets of Bose, so I’m calling on the experts to help a retired DJ on how to wire up correctly.

Current combined kit is

-3x Bose 302 subs

-8x Bose 802 tops

-1x Bose 802 C controller

-3x amplifiers (Amp 1: Crown, Amp 2:Crest Audio v450 and amp 3:Yamaha P2160)

I plan to wire up bi-amplified mode with the Bose Controller and was planning to send 302 bass signal from controller to the Amp 1. Amp 1 needs to feed 3x 302 subs, I can do the 2x 302 subs easy but can I simply send a 3rd cable straight from amp (L or R) to sub number 3? Or do I jump it off the back of one of the other 2 subs?

Secondly, as there are 8x 802 ‘tops’ I thought it best to run these off 2 amps - 4 per side. Would it best best to bridge Amps 2 & 3 and connect 4x 802’s each side? If that is correct, how do I wire them? Can I simply jump a cable from each speaker or should I wire them directly from the Amp?

Images would really be helpful, if you need more info please do ask. I’m mainly concentrate about Ohms and if worries more than a pair could inadvertently damage the speakers or amps.

Grateful for any advise you may have!!

Thanks

This is how I would be doing it:

For the 802s, use 2 amps, so 2 per side of each amp. For each 'pair' just use a short cable between the cabs.

For the 302s, use 1 amp for two cabs, ideally get a 3rd amp for the 3rd 302.

Unusual using 3 bass cabs... :unsure:

hi, thanks for the advice - makes perfect sense when you hear it from someone else!! I see what you mean about the 3rd sub - will look into that option too. Thanks again!

This is how I would be doing it:

For the 802s, use 2 amps, so 2 per side of each amp. For each 'pair' just use a short cable between the cabs.

For the 302s, use 1 amp for two cabs, ideally get a 3rd amp for the 3rd 302.

Unusual using 3 bass cabs... :unsure:

You make a good point, I’m doing it for coverage as the set up is in a gym and the guy bought my stuff to increase coverage is his gym and increase power to a small degree. Based on your advice I’ll look at a second amp.

Thanks,

Do you really need to combine the systems? Are you doing it for more coverage or for greater level?

Your three subs will create all sorts of weirdness!

Gents,

Any suggestions on how I send the 802 (top) signal from controller to both amps?

Someone on another forum mentioned just linking the input from both amps but I’m not sure that they have sufficient connections.

Or can I get a custom cable from controller that will split the cable into 2 to carry signal to both amps?

Thanks

Any suggestions on how I send the 802 (top) signal from controller to both amps?

Someone on another forum mentioned just linking the input from both amps but I'm not sure that they have sufficient connections.

Or can I get a custom cable from controller that will split the cable into 2 to carry signal to both amps?

Can you not just run each amp in mono & feed one controller output to each?

Gents,

Someone on another forum mentioned just linking the input from both amps but I’m not sure that they have sufficient connections.

Thanks

Many amps have a 'link' out so you simply use a patch cable from the link out of the first amp to the second.

If yours don't have link out, then yes, you need splitter cables, like this:

XLR output splitter

Plug it in the 802 output of the controller and run a cable to each amp. You'll need two splitters, one for left and one for right. Extra if you need to add an extra amp for the 3rd 302.

Thanks for the spot on advice , makes perfect sense!

Kind regards,

Gents,

Thanks

Many amps have a 'link' out so you simply use a patch cable from the link out of the first amp to the second.

If yours don't have link out, then yes, you need splitter cables, like this:

XLR output splitter

Plug it in the 802 output of the controller and run a cable to each amp. You'll need two splitters, one for left and one for right. Extra if you need to add an extra amp for the 3rd 302.

Noted on the jacks ??

Will get the Jacks split cable - seems to be plenty available online.

Guessing the guitar amp cables are the same thing? Seem to be loads of those available.

Cheers

Original 802C controller outputs are jack-only.

Archived