actors and a van

As a venue which, very, very occasionally, receives a small scale touring show, I have noticed recently that a number of small companies tour with no tech or stage management support, just the actors and a set.

They send a quite complicated lighting rig and a set of cue points and expect the in-house tech to rig, focus, plot and operate their show.

Is this a trend? I don't approve.

Is this a trend? I

nope its been happening for years,kids shows seemed to be the worst for it when I was venue based,but I was being paid being paid to provide technical cover/support for incoming shows so it was all part of the job.what I dont approve of is arriving at a venue and having the 2 crew we ask to assist with the load in /fit up on the rider, think there only there to unload the van and can then disappear into there crew room

We had the same. I found a range though, from "I want 3 washes and some specials" to a full design. I did find that most of the time there was someone who knew what was needed so could run a focus and a plot.

I have had a number of shows appear with extensive light and sound plot, + notes and the script* to follow for the cues.

But it is also attitude, I would do anything for a few people who came through, regulars who we got on with, people who were nice, but rock up and hand me focus notes I might have some issues.

*the script I recall was something like

xxx - talky talky CUE1

#aprox 5 min of talking, in the middle of this xxx will say blah blah, that is when cue 2 happen's, it is important it happens then because the state needs to finish when xxx finishes taking

Certainly common in the events/concerts world, though the ones I see are more cues against a set list with broad comments like blue wash, spot DSC, FS on soloist, etc; and focus notes for a small number of specials, usually superimposed on the stage plan as lozenges.

I was an am theatre yrs ago and we got many small tours of actors in a van with now and then a few book flats. I always enjoyed the challenge of if lucky a bit if a tech rehearsal but usually doing it on the fly

The best cue I ever heard in a show was to follow spots. "Pick up the person who looks as they're about to sing" we had 5 options in a line all holding radio mikes to mouths

Archived