Windows 10 and security

paulears

You can stop automatic updates Just go into internet advanced settings and define your internet connection on that machine as a metered connection and windows 10 will not download updates automatically!

Have you worked out how to do that for a wired ethernet connection? It's easy to do for a wireless connection, but I haven't found the setting in the adaptor properties or anywhere else. Thanks!

Have you worked out how to do that for a wired ethernet connection? It's easy to do for a wireless connection, but I haven't found the setting in the adaptor properties or anywhere else. Thanks!

But who would be interested in using wired ethernet! It's so last century. Not even worth Microsoft providing the options for it.

If there was a version of SCS for Linux (I'm guessing the requisite audio drivers for the audio interface already do exist but I'm prepared to be disappointed) I'd be seriously recommending we moved our sound machine to Linux.

I believe that the problem is that SCS uses the BASS Audio Library which is (still) not available for LINUX on anything other than an ARM platform.

But who would be interested in using wired ethernet! It's so last century. Not even worth Microsoft providing the options for it.

Me for one. Although we live on an island, we have had an FTTC broadband connection for over a month now and the highest speed I can get on WiFi is about 19Mbps. Ethernet gives me 34Mbps!

802.11n has a max theoretical speed of 600Mbps. The theoretical max speed of 802.11ac is nearly 7Gbps but in the real world, thanks to channel contention, you probably won’t get more than two or three 160MHz channels, so the max speed comes down to somewhere between 1.7Gbps and 2.5Gbps.

And wired ethernet has the big advantage of power-over-ethernet which means you don't need a separate local power supply for things like IP CCTV, intercoms, paging speakers, etc.

Those of us who can't get reliable wifi despite having decent 300mb wifi kit, or maybe move large files around meaning wifi just crashes and burns whereas 1gb ethernet barely breaks a sweat. Also those who don't actually want to use wifi. B-)

Try using a wifi network connection on a computer in close proximity to rack of Line 6........ :rolleyes:

If you ask me, it's wifi that's becoming so last centry as it's getting more and more unreliable (too much on 2.4ghz and 5ghz will end up the same in time) and hasn't really seen much of a reliable, real-world speed increase since 11mb anyway... :D

Archived