Multi camera advice

Mr Steve

So it just crops 1080 frames from a 4K image? Aside from anything else, that'd make for a horrifically dull edit. It's effectively no different from shooting in 4K and then cropping and pan scanning in post, only you're doing it live - in fact there's software that can support doing that from a live 4K feed anyway. Certainly cheap though, so I suppose it has the edge there and could definitely be suitable/sufficient for a classroom environment.

If they're trying to emulate live vision mixing it's fairly limited though - when you're cut to one shot, you can't relocate another as you're stuck to one overall camera angle (no detail cutaways for example). That having been said, I suppose this is less of an issue for the OP in regards to a panel style show (dependent on staging).

I have what is loosely termed a 'portable production unit' - used it for a few conferences, then that work dried up, and it's been in my edit suit for three years now! For-A switcher - loads of inputs, small monitors for the cameras, bigger preview and programme, and even a small 1U rack mixer. Just too much faffing around now because it needs people - In terms of the effects and other facilities - I can do everything in Premiere, so for music shoots with multiple cameras, editing afterwards is the norm. Colleges like this kind of thing because it's jobs for lots of students and good fun too. Not sure there's any real need for it now, grades wise, unless they're doing a course with a studio operation component = but even then, the facilities required are often quite simple.

I agree that the Movi has limited use cases but to have the primary elements of a Tricaster for that price is astonishing. It seems to fit the OP and to be honest editing a panel show is always going to be dull. Wide, close 1, close 2, wide...

I think it's a really good idea. Would be great for churches who want to stream their services to members who are ill or stuck at home. I like the way the app eases the zooms and moves to look like a real camera operator.

The only downside is it is locked to Livestream as a streaming provider.

Of course for a multicam training studio it's not much good as all the camera ops are out of a job,

I agree that the Movi has limited use cases but to have the primary elements of a Tricaster for that price is astonishing. It seems to fit the OP and to be honest editing a panel show is always going to be dull. Wide, close 1, close 2, wide...

Oh agreed, more just thinking out loud! Seems perfectly suitable for OP, especially for a panel show.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm all for helping deserving people to manage to do things on a shoestring. However, this just isn't one of them. Multicam video record and edit = professional crew and equipment. That's what we all do for a living right? You wouldn't ask a mechanic to tell you how fix your head gasket on the cheap. Colleges have budgets, sorry.

Archived