hanging 19" rack boxes

benweblight

Out of interest is this fore you Behringer dimmer?

An option may be to get a standard lightweight ABS or similar 19inch rack mount case buy one a U bigger than you need and drill two holes or more in it to pass a bolts through for standard hook clamps (make sure you use big washers to lessen the pressure on the inside of the case). Make sure you put several safety bonds on in from several different securing positions. This wouldn’t really work for anything more than a few U maybe 4 U at max above this you will get heavier and heavier weighs putting more and more strain on case which is meant to be on the follow or supported not hung.

I personally wouldn’t want a 19 inch rack mount case flown up on one of my bars firstly it would get in the way and it looks messy. Far better to invest in some main extensions if this is your dimmer or whatever other cables you need for the equipment you want to fly in the case and then run them in a loom to the bar. Looks neater, saves space on the bar and reduces the safety risks of a big heavy rack mount in the air.

Hope this is of some inspiration.

Any equipment which is being flown must be DESIGNED FOR THE PURPOSE. Recommending to people they just buy a standard rack, drill some holes in it and put some hook clamps on it is very dangerous, no matter how many safety bonds you put on it!

If your looking for racks designed for flying, Amptown Cases have a product called RigRax which will serve your purpose, but maybe a bit overkill for what you want.

thanks for the replys. I wasn't asking specifically about the behringer, but it was one purpose I was thinking of.

I could just loom up some extensions, but they wouldn't look 'neat' for example, running up a wall to an foh bar.

An option may be to get a standard lightweight ABS or similar 19inch rack mount case buy one a U bigger than you need and drill two holes or more in it to pass a bolts through for standard hook clamps (make sure you use big washers to lessen the pressure on the inside of the case). <snip>

Apart from the dont-do-this-unless-the-rack-is-designed-for-flying argument, which I agree with, by the way, all the plastic cases I've seen (esp. the horrible SKB ones) wouldn't be suitable in my opinion for putting bolts thru and hanging. Drilling into the case would weaken it, and you'd need very big washers to take the weight on the case.

Plus, if it was any of my rigs, if it was a tempoary rig (on truss) hanging the dimmer would severely unbalance one side of the truss, and if it was a permanant rig, I wouldn't like to place that sort of weight on just one side. Both sides, to balance it, maybe. But I try to have my bars balanced. (plus, if it's a flybar, think of the poor flyman...)

David

I could just loom up some extensions, but they wouldn't look 'neat' for example, running up a wall to an foh bar.

Why not get some Socapex or other type of multicore, that would be much neater. Even if you were to fly your dimmer, you would still need to get power and data to it, unless it's already up on the bar.

I would get soca multis but im not on that sort of budget for my own equipment, and I certainley couldnt afford one that long (not that the rigrax option looks like being much cheaper). fair point about the power etc.

the main reason I asked was just to find out if such a product existed, or if you could do this with existing boxes

19inch rack box which has holes suitable for fitting clamps to hang it of a bar

I must admit to being confused as to why you would want to do such a thing.

Reason one

The reason lanterns do not have fuses in the plugs is so you can fix them during a show/rehearsal/whatever without climbing up a ladder.

If you hang a rack are you not in the position when you would have to climb up to fix things instead of the rack bloke simply getting the call over cans popping his tinny down swaping the fuse and then returning to his well earned libation.

Reason two

Unless you are into truss borders, which are IMHO the creation of the devil, wouldn't a big square lump look awfully ugly hanging off a truss / bar.

lets face it even truss mounted stage boxes look more naff than a well dressed fan-out.

Archived