Line 6 vs Audio Technica

mar

Hello,

I am looking to buy up to 10 radio mics for our school and in order to avoid long term issues with frequency licencing and to try and keep the costs down I was thinking of going down the 2.4GHz line.

I've had two options from my suppliers and seek opinion on which one people would choose.

The two I have been suggested are:

Line 6 VH75HS Specs

or

Audio Technica System 10 Pro Specs

I have heard good things about the Line 6 offerings but know nothing about the Audio Technica besides what is on their site, so any real world experience would be welcome.

For some context, we are an incredibly remote school and the theatre is a separate building with only two Wi-Fi hubs (part of a school wide coordinated system) so interference is not a great concern. Equally I am quite happy to squash the wi-fi during performances as it might discourage phone use slightly. They would be fairly well looked after (I am a full time technician) but durability is naturally relevant.

Thanks

Michael

Me and my singer were supplied 2x of those Audio Technica ones last Saturday outside in a very busy touristy part of Dubai; around 10 big hotels within shouting distance - all with multiple networks, a boat load of shops and cafes all with their own networks, everyone on their phones in the resort and out on the busy street etc etc.

No dropouts. They were fine all day. Batteries lasted hours and hours and they sounded quite nice. Ms Singer seemed to distort them a few times on the really big notes. I was making noise on a piano at the time so couldn't check whether it was the mic, receiver or desk. No sensitivity controls as you'd get on a Senny etc to speak of that I could see.

Only thing - they did feel a bit cheap compared to the (UHF) Senny handhelds I normally use. Don't know how much they cost, but performed really well, I'd say.

All I can say is that we've had 6 of the Line 6 V75s for a couple of years and I'm very happy with them.

No wifi interference at all - which isn't that surprising as they are specifically designed to avoid it!

Steve

I have several sets of Line 6 XD-V55, V70 & V75 with an assortment of hand held mics, head set mics and lapel/lavaliers.

They're used for am-dram shows, meetings/presentations and live bands. I've been really pleased with the results achieved.

With the spread spectrum system built into these products there shouldn't be many problems - I certainly haven't had any issues with wi-fi interference but as you will have read elsewhere on here,

some users have.

Some basic things to look out for - place the receivers in line of sight with the users and ideally above head height. Line 6 offer 2 types of 'paddle antennas' to help achieve better transmission.

So far, I haven't needed these but will consider them as and when.

Line 6/Yamaha are aiming these products at the 'middle' of the market - they're not considered 'Pro' by many who would prefer to avoid 2.4GHz wireless systems.

Some clients and their riders are likely to specify 'proper radio mics' anyway and if I was providing sound for any important conference or show I'd want to be as confident as possible

there wouldn't be any drop outs.

I can't comment on the AT System 10 as I haven't used it. Prices are similar to the Line 6 products but both are lower than the Sennheiser D1 which is my next favoured brand for this type of kit.

Line 6 headsets are well made but rather expensive I think - there's some great offers on good quality Chinese made ones on Ebay. I've bought some at under £30 each and they work well.

Line 6 hand held mics are ok BUT the battery covers are flimsy and break far too easily (as I've previously commented on this forum). Shame on you LIne 6 for not improving the design and quality of them!

Overall, I'd be happy to buy more Line 6 product.

Soundscape/Steve

Abbey Audio

Nottingham

I've used the Line 6 offerings and conclude that 2.4GHz is ok as long as you maintain good "line of sight" (and I mean no interruptions, wires, handrails, rigging trusses etc.) between the transmitters and receivers. A scaff pole within a metre or so if the receiver can disrupt the signal enough to make it unusable (as I discovered to my cost, in the days when the new 2.4GHz 'wonder mics' were the answer to everything....... )I didn't think they sounded particularly good either but didn't get chance to play with the mic models so YMMD.

Archived